Tax Information

The following tax information is not intended, nor should be considered as tax or legal advice. You should consult an attorney or an accountant for individual help or assistance.

8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition)

If you were a Campbell University international student entering the USA with an F-1 or F-2 non-immigrant visa during the school academic year, then all international students are required to file this form regardless of whether or not you had any earned income during the tax year. You can submit this form with any additional tax forms you are sending such as the 1040NR-EZ. However if you came to Campbell University as a new student during the Spring term you will not need to file this form.

Form 1040NR-EZ

You need to use this form if you are an F-1 student and have worked during the academic tax year and received a W-2 or if you have received a 1042-S or 1099. Some of you might be able to take advantage of tax treaties between your home country and the USA. You can find out what countries qualify for specific tax treaties at ; Look for publication 519 U.S Tax Guide for Aliens.

Form 843

As an international student you are not required to pay Social Security or Medicare taxes. If you have had these taken out of your paycheck, you have the right to file for a refund. You need to check with your employer if they will refund it to you or if you need to file form 843. If you were working at Campbell University you will need to file the 843 for a refund.

How can I file my tax forms without a social security number?

If you do not have a social security number then you need to apply for a TIN (Tax Identification Number). You can find more information at on how to obtain one.

Where do I send my tax forms?

Internal Revenue Services, Philadelphia PA 19255

When do I have to send my forms?

No later than April 15th.

If you are not sure of how to complete your tax forms you should contact a tax expert that has the tax expertise for non-immigrant visa holders. The International Admissions Office cannot be held responsible for any of the information regarding taxes on this site