Social Security Number

A Social Security Number is a personalized identification number that is necessary in order to receive payment for employment.

As of October 13th, 2004, F-1 students applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) for on-campus employment must present a letter from their DSO, Allison B. Shell, stating he/she is authorized to engage in on-campus employment, the nature of the employment; to be engaged in, and identifying the employer for whom the student will be working. The F-1 student will also have to provide a statement from his or her on-campus employer, proving that he/she is engaging in, or has secured, employment. This new evidence rule does not apply to students who have and Employment Authorization Document Card (EAD-Card) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

For more information about social security requirements, visit the Social Security Administration website.

IRS Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN number)

An ITIN number is a nine-digit number issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to individuals who are required for U.S. tax purposes to have and identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a social security number (SSN).

You can also obtain this number for the use of applying for a North Carolina Driver License.

You will need the following documents for this application:

  1. 1. W-7 form
  2. 2. Notarized copy of your
    • valid passport
    • I-20
    • I-94
    • Visa

For more information go to the following site: