The SEVIS I-901 fee is a fee the United States Government uses to process International Student forms before issuing an F-1 Student Visa. Campbell University does not utilize these fees. The SEVIS I-901 fee went into effect September 1, 2004. The payment website, www.fmjfee.com, is operational. New students with a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 issued on or after September 1, 2004 are subject to the fee. Continuing students and exchange visitors are not required to pay the fee except under certain circumstances. The DHS Study in the States website gives complete information regarding who is required to pay the fee.
Prospective students can order pre-printed copies through the Eastern Forms Center at fax number 1-800-870-3676.
If you are subject to this fee and do not pay it, you will not be issued an F-1 nonimmigrant Visa for admission to the United States. If you are in the United States applying for a change of status and are subject to this fee, you must pay the fee or your application will not be processed.
In order to determine if you are required to pay the fee, please see the information below.
Fee payment is required if the applicant is:
- Seeking an F-1 Visa from an embassy or consulate abroad for initial attendance to Campbell University by the SEVP.
- In the United States seeking a change of status to F-1 or J-1.
- An F-1 nonimmigrant applying for reinstatement of student status who has been out of status for more than five months.
- An F-1 nonimmigrant who has been absent from the United States for a period exceeding five months, was not working towards completion of curriculum in authorized overseas study and now wishes to reenter for a new program of study in the United States.
Fee payment is not required if the applicant is:
- An F-2 or J-2 dependent.
- An F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant who has previously paid the fee.
- A student whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 for initial attendance was issued on or before August 31, 2004.
- A student who is applying for a Visa to return to the United States as a continuing student or a participant in a single, continuous exchange visitor program.
- An F-1 nonimmigrant transferring between approved schools, changing educational levels, or applying for post-completion practical training.
- A nonimmigrant applying for a change of classification from within the United States from F-1 to F-3 status.
- An F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant requesting an extension of stay in a single program.
- Reapplying for a Visa from an embassy or consulate abroad after having paid the SEVIS fee for a previous F-1 or J-1 Visa that was denied within twelve months of the initial denial within the same program.
- F-1 status only, Form I-20 “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” issued to you by the SEVP approved school you will attend.
- All forms must be completed in English.
- The personal information used to fill out your form must be an exact match to the information on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- By a friend, relative, or organization on your behalf.
- By mail using Form I-901, along with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. dollars.
- Electronically by completing the I-901 through the internet and using a credit card.
Payment Options on your Behalf
- By mail. The person paying your fee must attach the copy of your Form I-901 to the payment they submit. The Form I-901 and the payment cannot be accepted if mailed separately.
Receipt of Visa
- The SEVIS fee must be paid and fully processed before the applicant arrives at the consulate for the Visa interview.
- A receipt will be sent by mail to the address indicated with your payment.
- A payment confirmation can be printed out immediately when paying the SEVIS fee online, after the payment is made. It may be used as a receipt until the mailed receipt is received.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to bring a SEVIS fee payment receipt with them for the Visa interview or to the U.S. port-of-entry.
- However, if you are unable to print your receipt from an online payment and/or do not receive your mailed receipt in time for your Visa interview, you can still go to the interview as long as your fee has been processed by the Department of Homeland Security.
SEVIS I-901 Fee Schedule
- Students (F-1) – $100
- Spouses and dependent children (F-2 or J-2) of students or exchange visitors – zero.