FAQs for Parents

Parents and family members are encouraged to review the answers to these frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us

For some majors – absolutely! In an increasingly global economy, Study Abroad is no longer considered a luxury. The U.S. Government supports Study Abroad through numerous State Department scholarships. 

Absolutely! While studying abroad, students must take a full load of courses, just as they would in Buies Creek, North Carolina.

Campbell University Faculty-Led Programs:

  • Students receive graded credit
  • Grades impact their overall GPA
  • Classes are taught as Campbell University courses

Independent Programs:

  • Students maintain their enrollment at Campbell University
  • A full course load is taken while abroad
  • Advisors aid students in completing a Transfer Equivalency Form to determine how courses will meet their degree requirements

The further a student plans ahead, the easier it is for a program to exactly fit their needs. The Office of Study Abroad recommends 1 year of preparation for independent programs.

Yes! Traveling as a student is more affordable than at any other time in life. The cost of studying abroad changes depending on each program. A large portion of the cost depends on the location and the length of time a student is abroad.

Most of Campbell’s internal scholarships are tuition remission scholarships and not applicable to study abroad, but federal loans and grants do apply! There are also many resources for outside scholarships.

The Office of Study Abroad encourages and helps students research scholarships for study abroad.

All study abroad programs offered to our students follow the required safety procedures outlined by the Office of Study Abroad. We follow State Department guidelines for safety in travel and carefully vet all third party providers.

The Office of Study Abroad regularly consults the U.S. State Department for travel advisories and maintains contacts with students abroad. No study abroad student will be permitted to travel to a location where a travel advisory is in effect.

Campbell University Campus Safety has a copy of all travel documents including contact information for any student who is abroad. They are open 24 hours/day and serve as a central point of contact for students and families. They can be reached via phone at 1-910-893-1375.

All students traveling abroad must be covered by international insurance before leaving, but this is included in Campbell faculty-led programs. The students will have access to approved medical facilities in the event of an emergency.

"In a few short weeks I learned more about the world than I did in a semester of class."

Brianna Meyrick, Exercise & Sports Science Major