Academic Advising FAQ

Registration & Scheduling

Deadlines are published each semester for dropping and adding courses. These deadlines can be found in Campbell University’s Academic Calendar.

Students will not be allowed to drop or add courses without the permission of the academic advisor. A “Change of Schedule Form” can be obtained from and must be returned to the Registrar’s Office.

Students withdrawing from a class after the published drop deadline and before the course withdrawal deadline will receive a grade of “W”. Deadlines for withdrawing from courses can be found on the Academic Calendar posted on the Campbell University website.  After the withdrawal deadline, course grades will be assigned based on student performance.

Students will not be allowed to withdraw from a class without the permission of the academic advisor. A “Change of Schedule Form” can be obtained from and must be returned to the Registrar’s Office.

Before You Begin: Understand the program requirements for which you entered the University. Current and archived course catalogs are available online.

Review your Program Evaluation under the “Progress” tab in the Student Planning portal, observing requirements and making sure that any exceptions, exclusions or waivers granted by an appropriate dean have been posted.

Make sure that you have no “hold flags” preventing registration. Check your account for hold flags by logging into the Student Planning portal. Resolve hold flags with the appropriate office.

Schedule an appointment with your advisor to review your preferred course plan. Your advisor must approve your course plan in order for you to register.

Finally, log in to the Student Planning portal during the timeframe associated with your priority group to complete course registration. Registration timelines and priority group details can be found on the Registrar’s Office website.

Major/Minor Course Planning

Once you have declared a major, you can also choose a minor or even double major. You will want to consult with your academic advisor prior to declaring either a second major or a minor.

You can minor or double major in most of our degree programs. For more information, review our Academic Catalog .

Yes. Students will need to fill out, sign, and have their advisor sign the change of major form. Upon completion the form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for processing. *Please note if you are an athlete your Athletics Advisor will need to sign as well.

Access and download the “Change of Major” form >


Students can view their academic progress by logging into Self-Service and selecting the ‘Progress’ page within the Student Planning portal.

General Advising

You can access login links for Self-Service, Blackboard, and other applications via the Login button on all Campbell University web sites.

image of login options

For more information on logging into Self-Service and other university systems, please visit the IT Service Desk  website.


Using Student Planning step-by-step-video tutorials:

Incoming Students

Incoming students’ schedules are prepared by the university’s advising team, with specific regard for students’ academic background and curricular requirements.  New students are encouraged to complete the “Pre-Enrollment Survey” distributed by the Admissions Office.  This survey allows students to share important information with advisors, which is helpful to the registration process.

Incoming students receive access to their proposed course plan and schedule by the beginning of August.  Instructions are shared by the Admissions Office for accessing schedules and communicating with an advisor regarding questions.