File A Student Complaint

The Vice President for Student Life and Christian Mission serves as an ombudsman for students and parents seeking to resolve complaints. In many cases, especially when student services are involved, the Student Life Office will deal directly with the issue. In other cases, when the complaint is beyond the purview of the Vice President for Student Life, students and/or parents will be assisted in determining the appropriate channel in which to obtain a timely response.

Ways to File a Complaint at Campbell

A student may file a complaint with the Office of the Vice President for Student Life and Christian Mission. The student complaint process is outlined in the Student Handbook (page 54).

Please click this link to access the online form to file a complaint regarding any area of the campus.

Submit a complaint

The Vice President for Student Life and Christian Mission may be contacted at:

Vice President for Student Life and Christian Mission
PO Box 95
Buies Creek, NC 27506
(800) 334-4111

Directions to the Office of Student Life

Other complaints


Additional Ways to File a Complaint

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Campbell University is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement – North Carolina (SARA-NC). Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for North Carolina. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form (.pdf).

The contact information for SARA-NC is:

North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
c/o SARA North Carolina
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629

T: 855-SARA- 1-NC (727-2162)
T: 919-549- 8614, ext. 4667

Consumer Protection Division, North Carolina Department of Justice

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at: North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Español (919) 716-0058.

The online complaint form can be accessed at

The mail-in form can be downloaded at

If you choose to mail-in a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001


Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

Campbell University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Individuals may submit complaints to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, the University’s regional accrediting body. In most cases, SACSCOC complaint procedures require that the complainant exhaust all other avenues to address the complaint. Prior to filing a complaint, please carefully review the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures Policy Statement.

The links below provide information on the SACSCOC complaint policy and process.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges 
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 

Telephone: 404-679- 4500 

SACSCOC Complaint Procedures and Form

State Authorization Liaisons Per State

Students also have the option of filing a complaint with the State Authorization Portal in their state.

Professional Licensure Disclosures

Students considering a program leading to professional licensure should contact the program director to discuss enrollment options prior to beginning the program. Contact information for each program is listed below. If you are considering a program at Campbell University that leads to professional licensure and you do not live in North Carolina, please contact the respective licensing board in the state where you reside before beginning the program.

Adult & Online Education

Online Education students having complaints or grievances should make every effort to resolve the matter by following the guidelines in the most current Student Handbook (see page 19).

In the event that your concern has not been addressed to your satisfaction at the institution, you may choose to file a complaint with:

More Information on the Student Complaint Process for Adult & Online Education Students >