Veterans Affairs Information Packet

As an honorably discharged veteran, you are entitled to education benefits, and are eligible to participate in certain education programs. Veterans are accorded the same rights and must meet all academic requirements and maintain the same academic standards as any student attending Campbell University.

Active duty service members should consult with the Education Services Officer (ESO) on their military installation before submitting an application for VA benefits. Below are the names of the certifying officials located at our extended campuses, where our night classes are held.

Certifying Officials at Campbell University’s Extended Campuses

Campus VA Advisor Contact Information
Online Campus Raven Vaughn 910.986.1311
Camp Lejeune Campus Christy Lopez 910.451.3097
Fort Bragg Campus Thomas Owens 910.814.4937
Raleigh Campus Sharon Kissick 919.468.8844
Pope Army Airfield Campus Faye Thompson 910.497.8237

Certifying Officials at Campbell University’s Main Campus

Campus VA Advisor Contact Information
Main Campus

Amanda McRae

Raven Vaughn



Note: Graduate and Extended program students are certified at the main campus only.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I Qualify For VA Benefits?

The Veterans Administration will make a determination of whether or not you qualify for Veterans Benefits. For questions and inquiries regarding VA education benefits, call 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888- 442-4551) or visit

How Do I Apply?

  1. If your Transfer of Entitlements (TOE) has been approved, you can apply for VA benefits online at by completing the VA Application (VA Form 22-1990E). For Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35), complete the VA Form 22-5490. Forward Confirmation Email to Campbell University’s Veterans Affairs Office
  2. Be sure you have applied to Campbell University by accessing an application at

How much of the cost will the VA benefits cover?

Go to to view the rates.

Full-time training for undergraduate students is normally 12 credit hours minimum at main campus or 6 credit hours minimum each term under accelerated terms. Graduate students need to look at their bulletin/catalog to determine full-time definition. A student who enrolls for less than full-time will have the amount he/she can receive in benefits prorated each month according to how many days of classes are in each individual month.

For additional information on financial aid, visit .

What happens after I apply?

Be advised that failure to provide the School’s Veterans Affairs (VA) Office with all required forms and a class schedule in a timely manner may result in a delay of benefits. The sequence of events that will occur in relation to the use of your GI Bill® Benefits is as follows:

  • After you submit your online application for VA benefits, you will receive an email from VA confirming that your application downloaded. Please forward the confirmation email to the Campbell University VA office.
  • After your application has been submitted and processed by VA, you will receive a letter entitled “Certificate of Eligibility” (VA award letter). Take a copy to Campbell’s VA Office for your VA file. You can also set up an eBenefits account (Premium) to see all of your certifications, payments, and remaining entitlements.

    Once You Are Certified:

  • Included in your VA award letter will be information on verification of attendance. You will continue to receive benefits as long as you keep the certifying official notified of your schedule.
  • For Post-9/11 (Chapter 33 students) the book allowance can come at any time during the month. The Housing Allowance payments are normally paid at the end of the month.

    To Keep Your Benefits Running Smoothly:

  • Read and familiarize yourself with the Policy and Procedures form. Print the Policy and Procedures page and take a signed copy to the Campbell VA office.
  • You MUST provide our office with a copy of your schedule before we will re-certify you for the next semester. Otherwise, YOU WILL NOT BE CERTIFIED. We also post grades and review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to ensure you can keep using VA benefits.
  • Keep in mind that VA will only pay for courses that are required for graduation as defined by your curriculum and as published in the catalog/bulletin. VA will not pay for non-degree or additional courses.
  • In the event you wish to change anything (schedule, major, course(s), address, etc.) or decide to pursue a Double Major or Minor, you must provide our office with a letter of approval, indicating the changes.

Numbers to Know

1-888-442-4551 – VA Call Center
(Address changes, requests to establish benefits, general information)

1-877-823-2378 – VA or Use WAVE
(on GI Bill® website at / Monthly verification of attendance)

1-877-838-2778 – VA Direct Deposit Center for Education
(Start, stop or change direct deposit information)

Veterans Affairs Checklist

Required documents must be on file before certification can be accomplished.

The following documents are required for ALL Educational Benefits. Additional documents required are listed under the specific Chapter.

  • Transcripts (H.S. and all other institutions attended since high school)*
  • Copy of Official Campbell University Letter of Acceptance*
  • Approved Education Plan/Curriculum Sheet (Compare to the copy your Adviser gives you)
  • Signed & dated VA Policy and Procedure Form
  • Copy of VA Awards letter or Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

Chapters 30 (GI Bill®) or Chapter 32 (VEAP) Chapter 33 (Post 9/11)

  • VA Form 22-1990 Application (New) OR 22-1995 (Change of program or school)
  • Copy of your DD Form 214 (Service Member Copy 4)
  • Military Transcript (JST)

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)

  • VA Form 28-1905, Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance Into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status (Comes from your Case Manager)

Chapter 34/30 (Vietnam Era GI Bill®) See a VA counselor if you think you qualify.

Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents)

  • VA Form 22-5490 Application (New) OR 22-5495 (Change of program or school)

Chapter 1606/Chapter 1607 (Guard and Reserve)/ (REAP)

  • VA Form 22-1990 Application (New) OR 22-1995 (Change of program or school)
  • Copy of your DD Form 214 (Service Member Copy 4 -Discharge paper)
  • Military Transcript (JST)
  • Kicker paperwork (if you received one)