The Campus Kitchen at Campbell University (CKCU) is part of The Campus Kitchens Project, a national organization that empowers student volunteers to fight hunger in their community. On over 54 university and high school campuses across the country, students transform unused food from dining halls, grocery stores, restaurants and farmer’s markets into meals that are delivered to local agencies serving those in need.
CKCU launched in 2016 and is fueled by the energy of student volunteers. Volunteers are trained in proper food safety and sanitation and then develop menus, work in the kitchen, deliver meals, and learn socially-responsible leadership skills.
We currently prepare and serve approximately one meal every other week to families in Western Harnett County at Johnsonville Elementary School in Cameron, NC. These meals are often accompanied by nutrition education with a focus on healthy eating, occasional health education and basic screenings, and other informative programming provided by Campbell University students, faculty and staff. CKCU also strives to reclaim food to decrease the amount of food waste in our community.
CKCU would not be possible without the help of our student and community volunteers. There are many ways you can participate and help us!
Dates for Spring 2020 are:
January 23 March 12
February 13 April 2
Ways you can Volunteer:
- Serving shift – Serving days – leaves campus at 4:15 or meet at Johnsonville Elementary at 4:45; ends around 6:30
- Serve on our student leadership team.
- Hold a supplies drive for us.
- Donate money so we can purchase supplies needed for meals.
- Become a food donation partner. Donations are tax-deductible and protected by the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act.
- Create an account on The Campus Kitchens Project website and verify through email
- Click on “All Events” and select “Campbell University”
- Find the date you wish to serve
- Select your choice of shift
- Sign Waiver