The Generating Excellence in Math and Science Residential Learning Community (GEMS RLC) provides a living environment that fosters academic and social success for a diverse group of students interested in biology, chemistry and mathematics.
Members of this community will live together in Hedgpeth Hall while attending programs, and classes with the support of faculty members from the College of Arts & Sciences Biological Sciences Department.
Living in this community is a great way for students to connect, build a community and enhance the learning experience with other students, faculty and staff. Through this community, students form a camaraderie to help them navigate the challenges that arise in their academic and personal lives.
Join our community
Students with an aptitude and passion for biology, chemistry and mathematics will feel at home in the GEMS Community. Designed to cultivate the innovative leaders of the future, this community gives students the tools for a successful college experience.
While living together on the same floor, students also learn together in a specialized first-year seminar course led by a dedicated Faculty Fellow assigned to the RLC.
- Live with classmates passionate about the science and math field in Hedgpeth Hall.
- Take a specialized freshman seminar course through the lens of science. For more information about this course, view the syllabus.
- Develop relationships with fellow students, a Community Mentor and a Faculty Fellow.
- Explore career opportunities in the biological sciences and related professional fields.
- Monthly meals and semester one-on-ones with your Faculty Fellow
- Excursions to Science Museums in Raleigh, NC
- Career exploration in biological sciences and related professional fields
- Opportunities to engage with upper-class science majors
- Built-in study session for common course among students
The GEMS Community is only open to first-year students.
- The GEMS Community is only open to first-year students
- Enroll in the GEMs 100 CUFS Course
- Agree to live in Hedgpeth Hall
- Attend all programs and course classes
How to apply
- When applying for housing, you will fill out your Housing Application. This application will prompt you to express interest in an RLC, select the GEMS RLC option.
- By selecting this option, you are NOT enrolling in the GEMS RLC, simply showing interest in the community.
- Jenna Jeslis, Assistant Director of Residence Life, will contact you with an application to fill out where you will be considered for a spot in the GEMS RLC.
- You will find out if you were selected to live in an RLC by the end of May 2020.
- Once selected for the community, you will be placed into the GEMS CUFS course in place of your generic CUFS Course.
- If you have additional questions about this process or the RLC in general, please email email@example.com or call the Residence Life and Housing Office at (910) 893-1546
Meet your Faculty Fellow
Dr. Stephanie Lambeth Mathews, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences, is excited to partner with Campbell University students in the GEMS Residential Learning Community to engage them in science-related activities outside of class. Her goal is to increase student involvement with science projects on campus and encourage students to continue to make these new opportunities. Dr. Mathews attributes her love of microbiology to these types of activities during her undergraduate degree and is thrilled to inspire the next generation of scientists. More about Dr. Mathews »