Family Member Info Packet

As a veteran’s family member, you may be entitled to education benefits, and eligible to participate in certain education programs. Check with the family member to see if they have transferred education benefits to you.

Active duty members should consult with the Education Services Officer (ESO) on their military installation to ensure they qualify to transfer benefits. Below are the names of the certifying officials located at our extended campuses, where night classes are held.

Certifying Officials at Campbell University

Extended Campus School Certifying Official Contact Information
Camp Lejeune Campus Christy Lopez 910.451.3097
Fort Bragg Campus Thomas Owens


Raleigh Campus Sharon Kissick


Pope Army Airfield Campus Faye Thompson 910.497.8237
Main Campus Amanda McRae 
Raven Vaughn


Note: Graduate and Extended program students are certified at the main campus only.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I Qualify For VA Benefits?

The Veterans Administration will make a determination of whether or not you qualify for Veterans Benefits. For questions and inquiries regarding VA education benefits, call 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888- 442-4551) or visit

How Do I Apply?

  1. If your Transfer of Entitlements (TOE) has been approved, you can apply for VA benefits online at by completing the VA Application (VA Form 22-1990E). For Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35), complete the VA Form 22-5490. Forward Confirmation Email to Campbell University’s Veteran Affairs Director.
  2. Be sure you have applied to Campbell University by accessing an application at

How much of the cost will the VA benefits cover?

Go to to view the rates. Full-time training for undergraduate students is normally 12 credit hours minimum at main campus or 6 credit hours minimum each term under accelerated terms. Graduate students need to look at their bulletin/catalog to determine full-time definition. A student who enrolls for less than full-time will have the amount he/she can receive in benefits prorated each month according to how many days of classes are in each individual month.

For additional information on financial aid, visit

What happens after I apply?

Be advised that failure to provide the School’s Veteran’s Affairs (VA) Office with all required forms and a class schedule in a timely manner may result in a delay of benefits. The sequence of events that will occur in relation to the use of your GI Bill® Benefits is as follows:

  • After you submit your online application for VA benefits, you will receive an email from VA confirming that your application downloaded. Please forward the confirmation email to the Campbell University (CU) VA office.

After your application has been submitted and processed by VA, you will receive a letter entitled “Certificate of Eligibility” (VA award letter). Take a copy to the CU VA Office for your VA file. You can also set up an eBenefits account (Premium) to see all of your certifications, payments, and remaining entitlements.

Once You Are Certified:

  • Included in your VA award letter will be information on verification of attendance. You will continue to receive benefits as long as you keep the certifying official notified of your schedule.
  • For Post-9/11 (Chapter 33 students) the book allowance can come at any time during the month. The Housing Allowance payments are normally paid at the end of the month.

To Keep Your Benefits Running Smoothly:

  • Read and familiarize yourself with the Policy and Procedures form. Print the Policy and Procedures page and take a signed copy to the CU VA office.
  • You MUST provide our office with a copy of your schedule before we will re-certify you for the next semester. Otherwise, YOU WILL NOT BE CERTIFIED. We also post grades and review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to ensure you can keep using VA benefits.
  • Keep in mind that VA will only pay for courses that are required for graduation as defined by your curriculum and as published in the catalog/bulletin. VA will not pay for non-degree or additional courses.
  • In the event you wish to change anything (schedule, major, course(s), address, etc.) or decide to pursue a Double Major or Minor, you must provide our office with a letter of approval, indicating the changes.

Transferability Information

Beginning June 29, 2009, service members will go to to complete the application to transfer benefits. 

When the web portal shows APPROVAL of the transfer, the family member should complete the application (VA Form 22-1990E) on the VA website (

Post 9/11 GI Bill®A private school can receive the VA cap each year if the service member is approved at 100% for education benefits.   To see the current VA cap or for more information on the Post 9/11 GI Bill® go to

Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Yellow Ribbon Program: Campbell University currently participates in the Yellow Ribbon program; however, it is open for changes between March – May each year.  You can contact the office or look at the following website for up to date information.  See


Veteran’s Affairs Checklist

(Required documents must be on file before certification can be accomplished)

The following documents are required for ALL Educational Benefits. Additional documents required are listed under the specific Chapter.

  • Transcripts (H.S. and all other institutions attended since high school)*
  • Copy of Official Campbell University Letter of Acceptance*
  • Approved Education Plan/Curriculum Sheet (provide copy to Adviser)
  • Signed & dated VA Policy and Procedure Form
  • Copy of VA Awards letter or Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) (TOE)

  • Copy of the Approval of Transfer of Entitlements (TOE)
  • VA Form 22-1990E Application (New) OR 22-1995 (Change of program or school)

Numbers to Know

1-888-442-4551 – VA Call Center
(Address changes, requests to establish benefits, general information)

1-877-838-2778 – VA Direct Deposit Center for Education
(Start, stop or change direct deposit information)