Registrar Policies

« Back To Registrar

Below you will find the official Registrar’s Office Policies & Procedures (Registrar Handbook) for 2010 through 2013.

Click to view a PDF version of the complete Handbook »

Primary Registrar Duties & Responsibilities

. *The Norman A. Wiggins School of Law maintains its own academic records; however, we prepare headcounts for state, federal, and denominational reports.
**Extended campus, graduate, and first professional programs certify their respective candidates for graduation.

Back To Top

The Academic File Or Permanent Record:

The academic file or permanent record contains the following information:

  1. The transcript of record
  2. The Evaluation of Transfer Credits (if applicable)
  3. Official copies of post secondary transcripts, DANTES, CLEP, USAFI, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate (IB), and ACT/PEP tests and any other official documents which support the Evaluation of Transfer Credits
  4. High school (secondary school) transcripts
  5. SAT or ACT test scores
  6. Correspondence relative to deportment (purged upon graduation)
  7. General correspondence to the student (purged upon graduation or microfilming of the record)
  8. The Graduation Audit (if applicable)
  9. Application for Admission
*Letter, statement, or verification of acceptance
*Note: The signature of the appropriate CU official or extended campus director on the admission form serves as the letter of acceptance on the extended campus sites.

Note: Once any element becomes a part of the student’s academic file in the Registrar’s Office, it is maintained permanently or purged from the record upon the student’s graduation in compliance with the University policies relative to the specific item or document. We do not transmit letters of personal reference, transcripts of record from other educational agencies, or test scores to other colleges or universities. The student who wishes to make these items available to other persons or agencies must obtain them from the original sources.

Back To Top

Credit By Examination

Credit may be earned by satisfactorily completing the General Examinations or the Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program [CLEP], the Subject Examinations of the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Subjects [DANTES], the Advanced Placement examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board, or any other standardized test approved and accepted by the American Council on Education and documented in the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services, often referred to as The ACE Guide. Students may earn credit for satisfactory completion of the International Baccalaureate program. Details pertaining to the minimum scores required for credit in the International Baccalaureate program, CLEP, DANTES, and Excelsior University credit provisions are provided elsewhere in this handbook.

Note: Campbell University does not allow course credit for the SAT II battery of tests.

Students must complete and submit for evaluation all non-traditional and standardized tests by the end of the first year of residency at Campbell. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the appropriate dean.

Back To Top

Transcript Of Record

A transcript of record is a copy of the student’s academic history while enrolled at Campbell University. It shows every course for which the student registered, term taken, grade, and semester hours received. It is possible for a student to have more than one Campbell University transcript of record. Students build transcripts for every program for which they enroll. Undergraduate, graduate, and first professional programs are maintained on separate transcripts of record. When students request a transcript of record, transcripts for all programs for which the student was/is enrolled are issued. Campbell University will not intentionally issue a partial transcript. Furthermore, we do not issue transcripts from other colleges or universities, including high school transcripts or standardized test scores that are not already posted on the face of the Campbell University transcript. Please note that the Norman A. Wiggins School of Law maintains its own transcripts of record. To obtain copies of a transcript, students must notify the School of Law.

We do not post a class rank for our students until they graduate. We have nearly 6,000 non-traditional or part-time students enrolled on five campuses making the determination of a “class” rank virtually impossible.

Students requesting transcripts at, or near, the end of an academic term should ask that their request be held until the final grades for the term are posted, or they should request that a supplementary transcript be mailed after the final semester grades are posted. There is a separate charge [$5.00] for supplementary transcripts.

Campbell University will not release a transcript of record without the written consent of the student or a subpoena issued by the presiding judge in a legal action, nor will we accept a telephone request for a transcript. Furthermore, we respond to subpoenas though the university attorney. Normally, our counsel mails the appropriate records to the Clerk of Court with the instructions that the presiding judge in the action open the documents.

Back To Top

Official Transcrtipts

Official Campbell University transcripts are printed on security paper which features invisible fluorescent fibers, brown stain chemical reactant, a void pantograph, and a micro-printed border. The transcripts bear the electronic signature of the registrar. Our transcripts do not require a raised seal.

Please note that at the conclusion of each regular term, the University issues final grades on an official transcript-of-record. Students are urged to review the transcript after each grading period with special attention to “I” and/or “IC” grades. We can not certify a student to graduate with an unresolved “I” or “IC” grade on the record.

Back To Top


A subpoena is a command from a court to require the person named in the subpoena to appear at a stated time and place to provide testimony or evidence. There are two main types of subpoenas: The subpoena duces tecum requires the submission of documents, papers, or other tangible things to the court. The subpoena ad testificandum requires a person to testify in a particular court case. A bench warrant issued by a judge, also considered a court order, requires a person to produce something to, or testify before, a court.

According to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, non-directory, personally identifiable information from education records can be released “to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena” provided that the “institution makes a reasonable effort to notify the student of the order or subpoena in advance of compliance.”

Legislation passed on September 28, 1994, modified the requirement of notifying students of the receipt of a subpoena. This legislation orders institutions not to notify the student of the receipt of a federal grand jury subpoena, or any other subpoena issued for a law enforcement purpose, if specifically ordered not to do so in the subpoena.

Furthermore, the 2000 regulations clarified that if an institution initiated legal action against a student, or vice versa, no subpoena for the relevant education records of a student would be required for the institution to either proceed with legal action as plaintiff or defend itself.


The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure requires that a subpoena be issued from the court for the district in which the hearing or trial is to be held. If the subpoena orders the production or inspection of document, the subpoena must be issued from the court in which the production or inspection is to be made. A court cannot act upon a person over which it has no jurisdiction. State courts have jurisdiction only within the boundaries of the state. However, federal district courts effectively have jurisdiction in all 50 states since attorneys who are permitted to represent a client in federal court can issue a subpoena from any federal court for the district in which the subpoena is to be served. “In authorizing attorneys to issue subpoenas from distant courts, the rule effectively authorizes service of a subpoena anywhere in the United States by an attorney representing any party.” If a subpoena is served on an individual that requires the individual to testify personally (ad testificandum) as opposed to providing documents only (duces tecum), the deposition/hearing must be conducted no more than 100 miles from the site of the hearing. The individual is not compelled to travel further.

Being Presented with a Subpoena

FERPA does not mandate that an institution of higher education automatically comply with a lawfully issued subpoena. To determine if the institution should comply with a subpoena, the following information should be considered:

Under FERPA, the requirement that the person served with a subpoena notify the student of the receipt of a subpoena and the institution’s probable intent to comply should override any command within a subpoena to the contrary (with the exceptions previously noted). In most cases in which this occurs, no judge reviewed the subpoena before it was issued. It should be quite obvious to anyone who is knowledgeable about FERPA that the issuer of the subpoena does not realize that a prior notification requirement exists within FERPA.

When the subpoena orders the recipient not to notify the student (and the subpoena is not a federal grand jury subpoena or one issued for law enforcement purposes), it is best to contact the person who issued the subpoena and notify that person of the FERPA requirement. If the issuer insists that the student not be notified, the person served with a subpoena should seek advice of counsel. He or she also could inform the issuer that he or she will only comply with that request upon receipt of a court order from a judge serving on a court that has jurisdiction over the institution served with the subpoena.

You can view a Sample Letter to Student Informing Him/Her that a Subpoena has been issued »

At the postsecondary level, parents have no inherent rights to inspect a student’s education records. The right to inspect is limited solely to the student. Records may be released to parents only under the following conditions: (1) through the written consent of the student, (2) in compliance with a subpoena, or (3) by submission of evidence that the parents declared the student as a dependent on their most recent Federal Income Tax form. Should the parents provide such proof of dependency, the university is not required to disclose information from the student’s education records. It may, however, exercise the discretion to do so.

Note: Campbell University has addressed these issues by providing students with a form which they may sign authorizing the release of information from the academic file. The form is specific in identifying the type of information and the person(s) to whom the information may be released. When the student signs one of these forms it is placed in the file and remains active until the student instructs us to remove it. These forms are discussed openly with parents and students during every New Student Orientation.

Back To Top

Student Rights Under FERPA

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act gives students the following rights:

Back To Top

Directory Information/FERPA

Directory information or education record information that can be disclosed without the student’s written permission as defined in Section 99.3 of the original FERPA regulations includes:

“the student’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in normally recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees, and awards received, the most recent educational institution attended by the student, and other similar information.” Personal identifiers, such as identification numbers or social security numbers, cannot be designated as directory information.

The 1988 Final Regulations amended this definition by adding that directory information was that “ . . . information contained in an education record of a student which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed.”

Campbell University takes a conservative position relative to the release of student information.

The university considers the following information to be directory information at Campbell:

  1. Name
  2. Academic majors and minors
  3. Academic classification (freshman, sophomore, etc.)
  4. E-mail address

Back To Top

Crisis & Emergency Situations/FERPA

If non-directory information is needed to resolve a crisis or emergency situation, the registrar’s office may release that information if the institution determines that the information is “necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.” A record will be made of any such disclosures and initiated by committee action as opposed to the action of a single individual.

Factors which will be considered or questions to be asked in making a decision to release such information in this situation are: 1) the severity of the threat to the health or safety of those involved; 2) the need for the information; 3) the time required to deal with the emergency; and 4) the ability of the parties to whom the information is to be given to deal with the emergency.

Back To Top

Obtaining Transcripts Of Record:

A transcript of record must bear the corporate seal of Campbell University or the issuing institution, the date of issue, and the signature or the registrar in order to be official. Some institutions use electronic signatures and seals affixed to special safety papers which make duplication virtually impossible. Transcripts that apply this technology are acceptable.

To obtain a Transcript of Record or to have Campbell University send a transcript of record to a third party, the student must be prepared to provide the following information:

  1. The student’s signature supported by a social security number or the unique student number issued by the academic computer. (We do not recommend that students include their social security number in e-mail postings,) The unique Campbell University ID number appears on the student ID card, transcript of record, individual financial account with the university, and adjacent to the name on all class rosters and grade reports. Note that we cannot accept a “typed” or printed signature unless either or both are accompanied by the student’s cursive signature.
  2. An individual address or “fax” (facsimile) number to which the transcript is to be sent which can be entered into our computer system as a means of tracking the transcript and verifying the address or number to which it was sent.
  3. The name of the individual, company, educational agency, or institution to which the transcript of record is being released.
  4. Evidence that the student account is in good standing.

Intra-University transcripts (from the registrar’s office to a department, division, school, dean, placement office, or adviser) are free. Such transcripts are issued under the terms and conditions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act [FERPA] with the specific understanding that the transcript will not be released to a third party. Intra-University transcripts will be issued only to those officials and faculty members with a legitimate need to know the contents of a student record.

Students may obtain a copy of our Request for Official Transcript of Record from our Web site at Simply print the form, fill it out completely and either mail it or “fax “it to the registrar’s office. Our mailing address is on the form. Our “fax” number is 910-893-1260.

To receive “counter service,” a student must:

  1. Complete a Request for Official Transcript of Record form at the counter in the Registrar’s Office
  2. Take the completed Request for Official Transcript of Record form to the Business Office and have one of their staff persons initial the form to verify that the account is in good standing.
  3. Return with the completed and initialed form and applicable fees to the Registrar’s Office where the Assistant Registrar for Transcripts or another staff person will issue the transcript.

The Assistant Registrar for Transcripts and Records will control the release of transcripts and will coordinate the release of transcripts with the university’s business office. No transcript is to be released without the knowledge and approval of the Assistant Registrar for Transcripts. Each transcript that is released is logged into our computer system so that we will have an audit trail.

Back To Top

Accessing Grades

Campbell University does not issue hard copies of mid-term grade reports. Mid-term and final grades are available through the university’s Web Access portal to the academic computer system. While final grades will still be issued in “hard copy” format, the plan is to eventually phase out all printed grade reports. Students may access their grades as soon as they are keyed in by faculty and verified by the registrar’s staff. To view grades, students will need to access their personal Web accounts at . Instructions for accessing student accounts are available at this Website.

Back To Top

Grade Changes

Incomplete grades and letter grade changes should be authorized rarely and only because of extenuating circumstances. Students must complete the missing work within the time specified by the Instructor, but no later than 30 days after the beginning of the next term. Students are responsible for coordinating with the instructor to make up the incomplete work. Any changes to letter grades must be fully substantiated. Instructors are responsible for initiating the grade change process. All grade changes must be submitted on the official University Grade Change Form, must include the reason for the change, and must be signed by the instructor, approved by the Main Campus Academic Department Chair/Extended Campus Director, the appropriate Dean, and the University Registrar. Letter grades are considered final grades. The completion of required course work is a purely academic function and, as such, the coordination for make-up tests, submission of late written requirements, etc., must be between students and instructors. Administrative staff is available for any assistance or information needed; however, the staff must not be used as a primary liaison between the instructor and the student when coordinating make-up work.

Incomplete work that is not made up within 30 days after the start of the following term will automatically be assigned a grade of “F.” Under special, extenuating circumstances, an extension may be granted by the Department Chair or Campus Director, if requested by the instructor, not the student. Instructors are responsible for providing students with all academic work that must be considered to remove the “I” or change the grade, as well as the time authorized by the instructor to submit all outstanding requirements. Only the Instructor of record may change an “I” or final grade and initiate the grade change process.

All students are expected to take tests on the test dates as listed in the class syllabus. All make-up exams are the responsibility of the Instructor. Only under unusual circumstances would a student be permitted to take a make-up examination at a later date. Under no circumstances should a student be allowed to take an examination without a qualified monitor in attendance.

Back To Top

Reporting And Changing Of Grade

Operational Processes

Following each term or semester of instruction, all faculty members report grades, including “incompletes”, directly onto electronic rosters which are accessed by a secured PIN number, or the grades are entered from an official paper copy of a class roster by a registrar’s office staff member. Paper copies are signed by the appropriate faculty member and maintained in the registrar’s office. Paper rosters are rendered to microfilm; electronic rosters are stored on the University computer system.

Once a set of grades has been keyed into the computer system, there is a two day period within which faculty members may review their submitted grades. All electronic submissions are accessed by PIN number, while changes to paper rosters require initialing by the faculty member making the changes. Following final verification by the registrar’s office, any change of grade must be authorized on a Change of Grade form obtained only through that office.

Once initiated by the supervising professor, the Change of Grade form is forwarded to the appropriate department chair or campus director. If approved, the form is then forwarded to the appropriate dean. Then with approval by the dean, the form with all signatures is forwarded to the registrar’s office where it is signed by the registrar and entered into the University computer system by a registrar’s office staff person. Change of grade forms provide an audit trail and become a permanent part of a student’s academic file.

Back To Top

Grading System

Back To Top

Quarter Hour Conversion:

Campbell University recognizes that a quarter hour is two-thirds of a semester hour; therefore, we observe the following conversions:

Quarter Hours   Semester Hours
6 quarter hours = 4 semester hours
5 quarter hours = 3.3 semester hours
4 quarter hours = 2.6 semester hours
3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours
1 quarter hour = 0.6 semester hours

Back To Top

Repeat Policy

The university academic computer, Colleague, automatically checks and “flags” repeat courses. The last attempt of a course is the course and grade used to compute a student’s grade point average.

Academic Forgiveness Policy

Campbell University has a “one time” academic forgiveness policy for courses completed at Campbell University. To be eligible to benefit from the terms of the policy, a candidate’s record that includes terms which are eight (8) years or older may be considered for academic forgiveness. Eligible students must apply in writing to take advantage of the forgiveness policy.

Note: All grade resolutions including an application for the Academic Forgiveness Policy must be initiated and completed prior to a student’s graduation from the university.

Under the terms of the policy, we will award credit hours only for any course on which the candidate has earned a grade of ‘C’ or better. Students will not be required to repeat courses on which they have earned a ‘D’; however, no credit hours toward graduation will be allowed for ‘D’ grades. Failing grades will not be charged against the student’s grade point average.

Students who are returning to Campbell after an absence of one semester or more are not eligible to apply for the policy until they are actually registered and enrolled in classes. Thus, we do not apply the policy for those students who request it but who do not follow through with their re-enrollment to the University. Once the forgiveness policy is applied, it is nonreversible.

Appeals And Complaints

In addressing written student complaints and appeals the Registrar’s approach is guided by responsibilities to maintain academic records and interpret applicable policies. In this vein the Registrar interprets and applies the academic policies of the University. In dealing with written student complaints and appeals, the Registrar coordinates with the various schools of the University. Academic appeals and complaints, when initiated, are handled within the appropriate college or school. The decision of the dean in academic matters is final.

Policies On Distance Education

Back To Top

Transfer Of Credit

Campbell University initiated the following policy effective January 1, 2002: The University will accept semester hours only for all transfer work. We will accept course content only for ‘D’ grades; consequently, a student will not earn hours toward graduation for ‘D’ work completed at another college or university. The student’s grade point average will be determined by the work completed at Campbell University.

I. Transferring credits from accredited institutions and programs—Campbell University will accept credits from other regionally accredited colleges and universities in the following manner and under the following conditions:

The University will accept all courses—to a maximum of 64 semester hours toward programs approved for the Bachelor of Applied Science Degree or Bachelor of Health Science Degree. While there is no limit to the amount of credit that Campbell will accept from a regionally accredited senior college or university, the following policies apply to all bachelor degrees.

  1. The University will accept a maximum of 64 semester hours from a variety of technical and vocational programs such as police science, criminal justice, dental hygiene, etc., which lead to the completion of the final 64 semester hours from Campbell or Campbell and a combination of other regionally accredited senior-level programs. In any case, all students must complete their last 32 semester hours of residency at Campbell, 12 hours of which must be upper-level major or “cognate” courses. Special provisions for meeting the residency requirements exist for military personnel and are available through the Extended Campus Directors in the form of Serviceman’s Opportunity College Agreements (SOC).
  2. Should a student change from a Bachelor of Applied Science Degree program to a Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Business Administration, or Bachelor of Social Work Degree curriculum, the University would recalculate the Evaluation of Transfer Credits. In such cases, the student would lose the “major” or specialty courses that he/she transferred from the technical institute or community college program.
  3. Campbell University will accept a maximum of 64 semester hours in transfer from any combination of regionally accredited two-year, “general education” or “college parallel” programs such as those traditionally offered through private junior colleges or public community colleges. Furthermore, students who are in their fourth semester at Campbell University or who have completed 64 semester hours may not transfer work from two-year institutions (junior colleges, community colleges, or technical colleges). Students should understand that they are to complete the last 32 semester hours in residence at C.U., and that work completed at another institution while a student is ineligible to return to Campbell will not be accepted in transfer.
  4. We will not accept as equivalent any course numbered 300 or above in the Campbell University Bulletin from a two-year or non-regionally accredited program. For instance, a student who sits for marketing, cost accounting, labor economics, anthropology, or other 300-level courses at the two-year level will earn “elective” credit only at C.U.
  5. Currently enrolled students who do not have an overall ‘C’ average and a ‘C’ average at Campbell will not receive approval to transfer courses to Campbell.
  6. Students who have been enrolled at C.U. must have prior approval to transfer courses from another college or university. Students may obtain forms for this purpose from the Registrar’s Office on main campus or from the office of the Extended Campus Director on the applicable campus.
  7. Many out-of-state community and technical colleges are on the “quarter” system. A quarter hour is two-thirds of a semester hour, and C.U. converts quarter hours to semester hours. (See the Quarter Hour Conversion chart in this handbook.)
  8. C.U. considers that a one-semester course requirement such as General Psychology has been met when the student completes at least two-thirds of the semester hour requirement in equivalent quarter hours. (Example: General Psychology is usually a four-quarter (4) hour course and would transfer to C.U. as 2.6 semester hours.) We would not require the student to sit for another psychology course to complete the spirit and intent of the requirement. However, the University will not allow a student to graduate with fewer than 128 semester hours.

Campbell University considers that a two-semester course requirement such as English 101-102 or History 111-112 has been satisfied when the student presents nine (9) hours of equivalent course work in the discipline. To earn credit for one semester of a two-semester requirement, the student must present a minimum of six (6) quarter hours in the equivalent discipline. For example, students who transfer western civilization (History 111-112) from a community college under the quarter system must take all three quarters—History 101, 102, and 103—at the community college to receive full credit at C.U. Those who complete only History 101 and 102 will earn credit for History 111 at C.U. Likewise, students who earn credit for History 102 and 103 at the community college will receive credit for History 112 at C.U.

II. Transferring Non-Traditional Educational Experiences—Campbell University sets no limits on the number of upper-level semester hours we will accept from any combination of the following non-traditional programs: the College Level Examination Program [CLEP], Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Services [DANTES], the Advanced Placement Program [AP], the United States Armed Forces Institute [USAFI], International Baccalaureate Program [IBP], departmental end-of-course examinations, credits from sources approved by The American Council on Education, and other non-traditional sources subject to the approval of the Campbell University Curriculum Committee and the Executive Administration of the University.

  1. We will treat upper division baccalaureate credits recommended by the American Council on Education in the ACE Guide just as if they were being transferred from a four-year college or university. We will transfer such credit in addition to the 64 semester hours normally transferred from two-year and/or non-traditional programs.
  2. We will accept CLEP tests numbered 300 and above as fulfilling the equivalent requirement at Campbell. This credit is in addition to the 64 semester hours normally accepted from non-traditional programs.
  3. We accept all lower-level technical and vocational credits recommended in the ACE Guide toward satisfying the elective requirements for the Associate in Arts degree. Such credits would be annotated on the Evaluation of Transfer Credits as “Associate Degree Credit Only [ADCO].” Such credits will be reevaluated for the bachelor’s degree with the possibility of some associate level work being “grouped” to satisfy a requirement such as general biology or general physics. Such “grouping” would be done on a program-by-program basis with the approval of the appropriate dean and department chairman.

III. Transfer from Non-Regionally Accredited Programs—Campbell University accepts courses from non-regionally accredited programs and foreign institutions on a course-by-course basis. We will accept no more than 64 semester hours from non-regionally accredited and/or foreign programs.

International students may wish to submit their transcripts for evaluation to a professional educational credential evaluation service such as one of the following:

World Education Services [WES]
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Tel: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100

*Professional educational credential evaluators charge varying rates for their services. AACRAO evaluations are roughly $150.00 per transcript for a course-by-course evaluation. Campbell University generally accepts the recommendations made by reputable credential evaluators such these; however, we grant credit only where we have reasonable equivalents at Campbell. We do not transfer as equivalents from international universities any courses numbered 300 or above in the Campbell University bulletin. Our graduate and professional schools reserve the right to consider for admissions a candidate who presents a degree from an international college or university.

Back To Top

Advance Placement Credit

You can view a PDF chart of our Advanced Placement Examination: Scores & Equivalent Campbell University Course Credit »

The English Department will waive the ENGL-101 requirement for students who enter the university with a minimum verbal score of 700 (re-centered) on the SAT and a ‘B’ average on secondary-level English courses. Eligible students do not receive credit hours toward graduation for courses that have been waived by the English department.

"When the College Board artificially "re-centered" SAT scores to 500 apiece for the verbal and math sections in 1995, it created a world of doubt about the reliability of its long-term data. Since the averages had fallen from a starting point of 500 a half-century ago to 424 verbal and 478 math, re-centering essentially added 80 points to the average verbal SAT score and 20 to the average math SAT score to bring them both back up to about 500. Different amounts were added to scores above and below the average. Previous years' scores were recomputed to convert them to the new scale, and mean averages after 1996 are also re-centered."
Robert Holland - Published In: School Reform News

Campbell University does not recognize the SAT-II series of tests for university credits. These tests may be used for placement purposes only.

Please note that the minimum scores for credit for all non-traditional credit programs are subject to change. Campbell University uses the recommended standards for credit based upon the national norms in effect at the time the test results are tabulated. All testing services make these standards available to candidates when reporting test results.

You can view a PDF chart of our CLEP Examinations: Equivalencies and Credits Computer-based tests »

General CLEP Examinations

*This test will not satisfy the CU literature requirement; it is an elective only,

Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSSTS)

The DSST program is an extensive series of examinations in college subjects that are comparable to the final or end-of-course examinations in undergraduate courses. ACE recommends 3 semester hours of credit per test. Campbell accepts the ACE recommended scores for credit based upon national norms in affect at the time of testing. Passing scores are reflected on the DANTES transcript (score report). DANTES funds DSST testing for eligible Service members and personnel at DANTES military Test Centers. The DSSTs are:

You can view a PDF chart of our DSSTS Equivalencies »

DSST Fact Sheets: For descriptions of each DSST examination, visit:

Back To Top

Excelsior College Examinations

7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203-5159 - Phone: 518-464-8501

You can view a PDF chart of our Excelsior College Examinations »

Back To Top

International Baccalaureate Program (IBP)

A minimum passing score of ‘4’ is required for all credits. Please note that only High levels are eligible for College Credit.

You can view a PDF chart of our Excelsior College Examinations »

International Baccalaureate F.A.Q.

Is the International Baccalaureate an organization?

The International Baccalaureate Program is governed by the International Baccalaureate Organization in Geneva, Switzerland and administered by the International Baccalaureate Curriculum and Assessment Center in Cardiff, Wales. The organization originated over thirty years ago in Europe as an effort by international schools to assure quality educational standards for students, regardless of where they live. Today the organization uses the talents of educators around the world to continuously update curriculum, train teachers, assess student work, and evaluate the program.

What IB courses are required for the IB diploma?

IB diploma students take six academic courses during their junior and senior years. The six required areas are: [a] Language A (English or the student's native language). [b] Language B (a modern second language which is spoken today), [c] Individuals and Societies (History, Geography, Economics, Philosophy, Psychology, Social Anthropology, or Organization and Management Studies), [d] Experimental Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Systems, or Design Technology, [e] Mathematics, and[f] A sixth area subject, which may include Art, Music, Theater, Computer Studies, a second experimental science, a second social studies, Classical Language, or History and Culture of the Islamic World. IB diploma students also take a Theory of Knowledge, a course that encourages students to make connections among the academic disciplines and to examine knowledge, perception, and language as they relate to those disciplines. An extended essay based on independent research is also required.

How and when do IB students test in their subjects?

IB diploma candidates test in three of their subjects at the higher level and three of their subjects at the subsidiary level. Two subsidiary level tests may be taken in May of the junior year. All other tests are taken in May of the senior year. Higher level tests are longer and more challenging than subsidiary level tests; these are the tests which may qualify for college credit. All examinations are administered by the high school, which is responsible for ensuring that IB standards for testing conditions are met.

What scores must a student earn in order to gain the diploma?

Diploma candidates must earn a total of 24 points on their six IB examinations. Bonus points may be awarded for excellent extended essays, and for excellent Theory of Knowledge work. A score of 4 is considered to be a passing score on an IB examination. Though every university has its own criteria, most universities which award credit for IB courses require a score of 4 or better on higher level exams.

How much will IB examinations cost?

Currently, IB fees are a one-time $65 registration fee and $48 per exam. There is also an extended essay fee of $30 and a Theory of Knowledge fee of $15. The per capita fee of $125 is frequently paid by the school rather than by the student.

Does the student have to take an IB course in order to take an IB exam?

Yes! The IB is a curriculum that provides for ongoing assessment throughout the two-year program. Because a percentage of the exam score is based on those assessments, the student cannot just sit for an exam without having taken the course.

Back To Top

SAT/ACT Information

SAT & ACT Score Comparison from The Princeton Review [2009]

Many students wonder what their ACT score would be equivalent to on the Current or New SAT. The chart below contains comparative scores for all three tests.

It is important to note that a student that scores well on the ACT is not guaranteed to have similar success on the SAT and vice versa. For example, say a student earns an ACT composite score of 31; colleges will view this score as being in the same range of a 1360 – 1400 on the SAT, but it does not mean the student will actually earn that score if he took the SAT. This relationship is merely a way of looking at the competitive equivalent of the two tests, and is not meant to be a predictor of student performance.

You can view a PDF chart of our SAT/ACt Equivalencies »

Back To Top


No student may attend Campbell University or receive credit without being officially registered.

All students attending Campbell University must: 1) clear the Admissions Office prior to the initial registration or upon returning after an absence or withdrawal from school; 2) obtain a business office approval to register [BOAP], and 3) receive a notification from the Registrar’s Office, either by electronic mail or via surface mail, informing the student how to initiate registration or confirm his/her pre-registration.

A. Continuing students (students who were enrolled for the preceding term) may register unless they have been declared “academically ineligible” by the Retention Committee or “socially ineligible” by the Student Government Association, Vice- President for Student Life, the Executive Administration of the University, or if they are unable to make satisfactory financial arrangements with the Business Office.

  1. Students who are “academically ineligible” are notified in writing by the Registrar or the Dean of Admissions in May of each year. Occasionally, students who are asked to meet certain minimum standards as conditions for their continued enrollment are suspended in December when they fail to meet the conditions set for them by the Admissions/Retention Committees.
  2. Students who are “socially ineligible” are notified in writing by the Vice-President for Student Life or a representative of the Executive Committee of the University. Students may be declared “socially ineligible” at any time that the Vice-President for Student Life or the Executive Committee determines that the student has committed an offense to the community serious enough to warrant suspension.

B. A “hold” may be placed upon a student’s registration by the Business Office if the student’s account is not in good standing, by the Admissions Office if essential elements are missing from the Application for Admission package, by the Vice-President for Student Life, or by the Executive Committee. No student with a hold flag will be permitted to register until the person who placed the hold flag on the student record removes it.

C. A student is officially registered for classes when:

  1. He or she has confirmed his or her registration or pre-registration either on-line or during a regular registration so that their names appear on official class rosters.
  2. He or she has either paid his or her educational expenses or made satisfactory arrangements with the Business Office to do so.

Having a professor pencil in a name on a class roster does not constitute an official registration. Permitting students who have not officially registered to attend classes causes a multitude of problems and possible liabilities for both the student and the University and cannot be tolerated.

D. It is the individual responsibility of every student to know the requirements for the particular degree that he or she is seeking and to see that these requirements are met.

To assist students in achieving this objective, the university makes University Bulletins available in the Admissions Office, Registrar’s Office, deans’ offices, the library, on the Campbell University Website (, and at other various locations on campus. Each department prepares curriculum guide sheets that offer a semester-by-semester, course-by-course “master” plan. Finally, the university provides a sophisticated Degree Audit system which is available to students on-line through their WebAccess accounts. The degree audit shows the student the requirements that have been satisfied juxtaposed with those that remain to be satisfied to complete a particular degree. Students can even run “what if” scenarios through Degree Audit.

Faculty advisers are available to all students on the main campus to advise and to mentor, not to assume responsibility or blame.

The Campbell University Bulletin is the authority of curriculum matters. However, requirements may change between the publications of bulletins based upon the approval of the University Curriculum Committee. Students should always verify their current curriculum/bulletin for accuracy by conferring with their faculty adviser, registrar, or appropriate dean.

Back To Top

Registration Terminology

There are two methods of registering at Campbell University: (1) Regular Registration at the beginning of each regular term and both summer sessions. This form of registration is generally reserved for “new” students entering Campbell University for the first time, or students who are “returning” after an absence of one semester or more, and (2) Pre-registration during a current term for the subsequent term. This form of registration is generally reserved for current and continuously enrolled students. Important: A Registered Student is one who has complied with all regulations required for registration, who has completed all registration details, and who has confirmed his/her registration by (a) going on-line to WebAccess and following the simple confirmation procedures, or (b) by picking up an official class schedule from the Fine Arts Building or any other site where regular registrations may be scheduled. Please note that a student can not confirm via WebAccess unless he/she has pre-registered for classes. A Pre-registered Student is one who has been advised by his/her Academic Adviser and who has had a class schedule entered into the university’s academic computer. Under no circumstances is a pre-registered student considered officially registered until such time as he/she has confirmed his/her pre-registration either through WebAccess or during a regular registration in the Fine Arts Building or other site designated for registration.

Registration Procedures:

Regular Registration: Regular registrations are currently being held in the John W. Pope, Jr. Convocation Center. Changes in registration venues are announced as appropriate.

  1. A student must be fully or provisionally accepted by the Office of Admissions to register for classes at Campbell University. Acceptance by the Admissions Office means that:
    • The candidate has completed the admissions process which includes filing an Application for Admission, submitting all applicable supporting transcripts, standardized test scores, medical records with proof of immunizations, and has been entered into the academic computer system by admissions personnel.
    • The candidate has a letter of acceptance or letter of provisional admission.
    • Visiting students
      (Those who are officially enrolled at other colleges and universities and who have been granted approval to sit for courses at Campbell University by Campbell University admissions personnel and the appropriate officials on their home campus) should have a letter of approval to transfer specific courses from Campbell to their home campus. These letters of approval are normally issued by the registrar at the college or university where the student is regularly enrolled.
  2. All new and/or “first-time” Campbell University students must attend an orientation to the university during the summer before their initial fall registration or at the beginning of the first term of enrollment. The site of the orientation for new students is announced in advance by the Admissions Office.
    • Students who attend one of the New Student Orientations in the summer prior to their fall semester enrollment do not have to confirm their class schedules. They merely purchase their books and attend their classes as scheduled. We do request that students who no longer plan to attend notify our Admissions Office so that the classes which are being held may be released for other students.
    • Students who attend the abbreviated orientation on the first day of registration will hear presentations from the Director of Admissions, the Vice-President for Student Life, and the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. At the conclusions of the orientation, the students obtain a card from the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences which they must present to the attendant at the entrance to the registration area in the Convocation Center. Following the abbreviated orientation, students meet with an academic adviser who assists them with planning their schedule for the semester. The advisers actually key the students’ schedules into the academic computer. The students, however, must go to the Convocation Center to complete the process and to obtain an official copy of their schedule. When venues change, students will be notified in advance.
    • New students should obtain a copy of the Campbell University Bulletin from the Admissions Office (also available on-line at the Campbell Website ) and a copy of their major epartment’s curriculum guide during the initial advisement session. The students should safeguard these important documents to which they will frequently need to refer during the tenure of their enrollment.
  3. Subsequent to meeting with his/her adviser, the student registering during regular registration will report to the Convocation Center with the following form in hand:
    1. Continuing Students
      (Those who were enrolled on the main campus during the immediately preceding semester but who failed to pre-register)—should bring the letter of notification which they obtained via surface mail inviting them to register and informing them of the day, date, and time they should report to register.
    2. New Students and Returning Students
      (Students returning to CU after an absence of one semester or more) will need a “time card” which they will obtain during the mini-orientation on the first day of regular registration. The student should report to the Convocation Center following the meeting with the adviser at the time and/or date specified on the card.
  4. Once in the Convocation Center, the students will obtain several forms which they will need to complete in their entirety. Various stations will be spaced about the concourse to either collect or provide information. These stations will be appropriately designated so that the student can move freely among stations without having to wait in long lines.

Students who have pre-registered, pre-paid, and confirmed their class schedules through their WebAccess accounts on-line can avoid the registration line altogether. These students simply purchase their books and attend classes. If you are a main campus, undergraduate student who does not know how to use WebAccess to confirm your schedule, please notify the Registrar’s Office for assistance.

Back To Top

Late REgistration

Late registration is any registration occurring after the regular registration in the Convocation Center. Students registering after the close of regular registration must do the following after obtaining a Late Registration Form and a sheet explaining the Procedures for Late Registration. These forms are available in the Registrar’s Office of the JA Campbell Administration Building.

  1. New students and students returning after an absence of one semester or more must clear the Admissions Office by filing an Application for Admission. The Admissions Office activates or (in the case of returning students) reactivates the student’s demographic data on the computer.
  2. Report to the major department. The department secretary will assign an adviser to the new and/or returning student. The adviser will assist in the selection of courses. The new student should then have each professor “sign him or her into class” on the Late Registration Form.
  3. Clear the Business Office in Room 106 of the JA Campbell Administration Building. All students must make satisfactory arrangements regarding their accounts after registering for classes. After an appropriate amount of time, the Business Office will instruct the Registrar’s Office to cancel the schedules of those students who failed to settle their accounts.
  4. Obtain a “local” address from the Buies Creek post office or the community from which the student is commuting.
  5. Report to the Residence Life Office in Office #35 in the Wallace Student Center to complete a Housing Card.
  6. f operating a vehicle in Buies Creek, the student must report to the Traffic Office to register the vehicle and obtain a parking permit.
  7. Return to the Registrar’s Office with the following forms having been completed and signed by the appropriate university officials or their designees:
    • Procedures for Late Registration Form
    • Late Registration Form


During both the fall and spring terms, the currently enrolled students are offered the privilege of pre-registering for the subsequent term without waiting for the regular registration day. Three weeks are set aside for pre-registration during the fall and spring semesters. During these three weeks, students schedule appointments with their advisers to initiate the process and to obtain a schedule of classes. Students may also pre-register for summer school classes during the spring semester pre-registration cycle.

No pre-registered student is officially registered until he/she “confirms” his/her registration. A main campus, undergraduate student may confirm his/her schedule on-line by accessing their personal WebAccess account from any personal computer anywhere in the world. A section of the student’s WebAccess page is dedicated to the registrar where scheduling information is available and where simple screens guide students through the confirmation process. Students who pre-register, make satisfactory financial arrangements with the Business Office, and who confirm their pre-registration on-line need only to purchase their text books and to attend classes!

Should a student fail to confirm his/her pre-registration during the period set aside for on-line confirmation, a student’s schedule will be in jeopardy of being cancelled so that those classes may be made available to other students. Pre-Registration schedules and confirmation windows are published on Campbell’s Website and in e-mails and surface mail distributions to the student body. Reasonable efforts are also made to notify a student prior to cancelling a student’s class schedule. It is, however, the student’s responsibility to follow published schedules and to meet established deadlines.

Policies Relating to Students Registering for Credit on Extension Campuses:

Extended campus students requesting permission to enroll for courses on the main campus in Buies Creek must clear the main campus Admissions Office to get properly logged into the academic computer and obtain a University Identification Card which will grant them access to a variety of campus services.

Main campus students requesting permission to enroll for courses at our Extended Campus locations must first obtain authorization from their academic adviser, the chairperson of the department representing the course(s) for which the student wishes to enroll, and the Registrar. Registration for Extended Campus courses takes place on the various extended campuses. Students are responsible for all rules and regulations in affect on the campus on which they enroll. Each campus has policies—some involving military security issues and local ordinances—not necessarily controlled by Campbell University.

The maximum number of hours allowed during any semester and combination of Extended Campus terms must not exceed 18.5 semester hours.

If a student enrolls for six or more hours on main campus, and six or more hours at any extended campus program or combination of programs during the same semester, the student is considered a full-time, on-campus student and must pay resident tuition charges. To qualify for most all financial assistance programs, students must be enrolled for a minimum of twelve semester hours during a reporting term.

Please refer to the current Campbell University Bulletin for other policies regulating the enrollment of students on multiple campuses. The bulletin is available on-line on the Campbell University Website.

Back To Top

Drop/Add Procedures

The first three regular class days of each term are set aside as a “Drop-Add period” for making adjustments in the schedule. From 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. on the first Friday following the last day of regular registration all faculty are requested to be available to assist students with the drop-add process and in finalizing their class schedules.

Whenever it becomes necessary for the university to cancel a class, move a large number of students from one section of a class to another, or to make some other adjustment in a student’s schedule which is beyond the student’s control, such changes will be made by the appropriate deans and departments involved and with the Registrar’s cooperation. No action will be required of the student(s). In rare cases, a student may be asked to counsel with his/her adviser to find another course and may be asked to complete a Drop-Add Form with the assurance that the request will receive priority processing.

Normally changes in hours (changing from one professor to another within the same department for the same course) will not be permitted. A student may not change from one section of a course to another section of the same course with a different professor without the approval of the Chairman of the Department, the appropriate dean, and the Registrar. However, if the student has the approval of his faculty adviser, he or she may change from one course to another course.

To drop-add courses

The Retention Committee:

The Retention Committee functions in May of each academic year following the printing and distribution of final grades for undergraduate students. The Registrar’s Office generates a list of all students who have incurred quality point deficits equal to or in excess of 40 points. These students are declared academically ineligible to re-enroll for the subsequent fall semester.

Students who have been declared academically ineligible to re-enroll are offered an opportunity to re-establish their eligibility by attending one of Campbell Universities summer sessions and earning a minimum of two “Bs” on three-hour courses with no grade below a ‘C’. For the sake of interpretation, the student who elects to attend two sessions of summer school and earns one ‘B’ and one ‘C’ in one session and a ‘B’ and a ‘C’ in the other would be eligible to re-enroll for the subsequent fall semester. However, the student who earns an ‘A’ and a ‘B’ in one session and a ‘B’ and a ‘F’ in the other would not be eligible to re-enroll.

Students who do not take advantage of the opportunity to attend summer school to re-establish their eligibility forfeit their right to re-enroll. They must remain dis-enrolled for a minimum of one semester. Ineligible students may re-apply for admission to the university after an absence of one semester, however, the right to reapply does not guarantee acceptance. The university Admissions Committee reviews the files of all students who reapply after an absence. Students who have experienced academic problems are required to produce evidence that their academic and/or personal circumstances have changed to the point that it is reasonable for the Committee to expect them to succeed.

Students who are academically ineligible should understand that work completed through other colleges and universities during the period of ineligibility will not be accepted in transfer by Campbell University. Because Campbell University does not accept grades in transfer from other colleges and universities (only semester hours), a student’s quality point deficit must be made up at Campbell University.

The Registrar’s Office generates a second report which includes the names of all students who have quality point deficits between 1-39. At the end of each regular semester, these students with cumulative grade point averages below a 2.000 receive an academic warning letter. Because no student can graduate who does not have an overall ‘C’ average and a ‘C’ average in the major, we feel that early and frequent warning are essential elements to good advising.

Cancellations, Withdrawals, & Suspensions

The following procedure is for the guidance of all concerned in regard to the administrative handling of cancellations, withdraws, and suspensions from the University.


Back To Top

Address Changes

Students wishing to change their permanent address or the address to which they wish their grades to be mailed must complete a Change of Address Form in the Registrar’s Office.

Back To Top

Adviser Changes

Students wishing to change their major and adviser must do so on a Change of Adviser Form which they may obtain from the Registrar’s Office. The student must take the Change of Adviser Form to his current adviser who will sign the form and give the student his department file which contains copies of his grade reports, drop-add forms, Adviser Form, etc. The student will take the file to the new adviser who will sign the Change of Adviser Form and retain the department file. The student and the new adviser will review the file to make sure that the file is complete and contains a record of all of the student’s grades to date. The student returns the Change of Adviser Form to the Registrar’s Office where the change is recorded in the computer. The new adviser will need to request any information that is missing from the student’s file from the Registrar’s Office.

Back To Top

Request For Overloads

An overload for undergraduate students is any schedule for more than 18.5 semester hours during any combination of concurrent semesters or regular terms. Consequently, a student enrolled for twelve (12) hours on the main campus and six (6) hours at any other campus location(s) during the same term or combination of terms during the regular fall and spring semesters is enrolled for the maximum credit allowed for a regular semester. The University will not approve of any student sitting for more than twenty-two (22) semester hours during a regular semester. The student is charged an overload fee at the regular hourly rate for any hours over 18.5. Students must have their overloads approved by their academic adviser, the dean of the school, and the registrar.

Back To Top

Request For Course Substitution

On rare occasions students may request a course substitution from their Adviser. Course substitutions must be approved in writing on a Course Substitution Form and signed by the student’s Adviser, the appropriate dean, and the registrar. Course Substitution Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.

Back To Top

Request For Deferment From Jury Duty

Students are often called upon to serve jury duty concurrent with their enrollment in classes. When this situation occurs during examination or graduation periods, the Registrar’s Office is often called upon to request a deferment from jury duty on behalf of the student. As long as a student is not already seated on a jury, we will provide the following letter:

You can view a PDF chart of our Request For Deferment From Jury Duty Letter »

Back To Top

Independent Study Courses

Independent study is any type of study which is conducted under the supervision of an instructor but which is not available as a regularly scheduled course or which is a regularly scheduled course but is not currently available.

Credit hours will be given for each independent study course as listed in the catalog for regularly scheduled classes.

The student and faculty member will work out the format of each course and will adhere to the standards set by the department.

Standards will include the following:

  1. No student may take more than one three or four-semester hour independent study course per semester. Furthermore, no student shall present more than nine credit hours in independent study toward a major without the approval of the discipline department chairman, adviser, and the dean of the college/school.
  2. The student’s schedule should allow for an average of three hours of work per week per semester hour, including time spent in meeting with the professor.
  3. A clearly written understanding should be established between the student and professor concerning the objectives of the study, procedures, reading, written work, travel, and means of evaluation.

Supervision of independent study will be on a volunteer basis for the professor. No professor will have more than three independent studies at any time. All independent study contracts shall be approved by the faculty adviser, the supervising professor, the discipline department chairman, the appropriate dean, and the registrar.

Veterans enrolled in independent study courses must also be enrolled in 12 semester hours of traditional course work to qualify for veterans’ benefits..

Glossary & Frequently Used Terms

Academic Forgiveness Policy
Campbell University has a “one time” academic forgiveness policy for courses completed at Campbell University. To be eligible to benefit from the policy, a candidate’s record that includes terms which are eight (8) years or older may be considered for academic forgiveness.
Note: All grade resolutions including an application of the “Academic Forgiveness Policy” must be initiated and completed prior to a student’s graduation from the University.
Under the terms of the policy, we will award credit hours only for any course on which the candidate has eared a grade of ‘C’ or better. Students will not be required to repeat courses on which they have earned a ‘D’; however, no credit hours toward graduation will be allowed for ‘D’ grades. Failing grades will not be charged against the student’s grade point average.
Academically Ineligible
Any student who incurs a quality point deficit equal to or in excess of 40 points is in jeopardy of being declared academically ineligible. When a student is declared academically ineligible, he/she can not return to the university for the subsequent semester. A Retention Committee meeting is held in May of each year following the spring semester grade reporting period to determine the academic status of marginal students. A student who is declared academically ineligible may attend summer school and earn two “Bs” on three-hour courses with no grade below a “C” to re-establish eligibility to enroll for the fall semester. Failure to attend summer school and meet the minimum requirements means that the student must forfeit enrollment for a minimum of one semester. The student may reapply for admission after a one semester absence from the university; however, the right to reapply does not guarantee acceptance. The file is reviewed by the Admissions Committee who must be satisfied that the student’s circumstances have changed and that there is good reason to believe that the student can meet the minimum standards required for graduation.
American Indian or Alaskan Native
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North American and who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.
Asian or Pacific Islander
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent, or Pacific Islands. This includes people form China, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands, American Samoa, India, and Vietnam.
Associate’s Degree
An award that normally requires at least 2 but less than 4 years of full-time equivalent college work.
Black, non-Hispanic
A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa (except those of Hispanic origin).
Blended course
Any course the instruction of which is delivered in part through a traditional classroom setting and through the Internet or some other non-traditional delivery method.
BOAP is a mnemonic in COLLEAGUE that makes reference to a student’s account. If a student has a “BOAP” (Business Office Approval), they are cleared to pre-register or register for the current term.
A formal award certifying the satisfactory completion of a postsecondary education program.
(Classification of Instructional Programs)–A NCES publication that provides a numerical classification and standard terminology for secondary and postsecondary instructional programs.
Code A six-digit code in the form xx.xxxx that identifies instructional program specialties within educational institutions.
CLEP is an acronym for the College Level Examination Program. A subsidiary of the College Board, CLEP is a testing service whereby students may earn college credits on any one or more of 34 CLEP examinations. Additional and comprehensive information is available on-line at
“confirming” When used in the context of pre-registration/registration, confirming refers to the student’s physical action of going on-line to his/her personal WebAccess Account during an established time window to “confirm” his/her intent to re-enroll at Campbell University for the subsequent semester. Only main campus undergraduate students may confirm registration in this manner. Students receive on-screen prompts that walk them through the confirmation steps. The final step to the process is hitting the SUBMIT button at the end of the form.
Contact Hour
A unit of measure that represents an hour of scheduled instruction given to students. Also referred to as a clock hour. We normally measure our laboratory sections in terms of contact hours.
Continuing Student
A student who remains in continuous enrollment from one regular semester or term to the next. Students do not need to attend summer school to be considered continuing students.
Core Curriculum
At Campbell University, the core curriculum refers to a series of courses considered to be essential to the foundation of a liberal arts education. The core curriculum specifically includes English composition (6 semester hours), English or American literature (6 semester hours), Western Civilization (6 semester hours), mathematics/logic/computer science (6 semester hours), religion (6 semester hours), physical education (3 semester hours), foreign language (6-9 semester hours), fine art (3 semester hours), science (8 semester hours), and cultural enrichment (3 semester hours). In addition to the general core curriculum, each student must complete a major core composed of courses specified by their chosen discipline.
Credit Hour
A unit of measure representing an hour (50 minutes) of instruction over a 15-week period in a semester or trimester system or a 10-week period in a quarter system. It is applied toward the total number of hours needed for completing the requirements for a degree, diploma, certificate, or other formal award.
An award conferred by a college, university, or other postsecondary education institution as official recognition for the successful completion of a program of studies.
Degree Audit
Students may run a “degree audit” through their WebAccess (see definition) accounts. The degree audit shows which courses have been completed and which need to be completed to satisfy a degree requirement for a specific major. Students may run “what if” scenarios within the degree audit module which allows them to see how their courses would fit other majors and degree programs. Degree Audit is the tool that the Registrar’s Office uses to run final audits for graduation.
A formal document certifying the successful completion of a prescribed program of studies.
FTE (Full Time Equivalent)
A method of measuring enrollment. A full-time equivalent student is one student sitting for 12 semester hours or four part-time students sitting for three semester hours each. Full-time students are considered FTEs regardless of the number of hours they are carrying so long as they carry a minimum of 12 semester hours.
First-Professional Certificate (Post-Degree)
An award that requires completion of an organized program of study designed for persons who have completed the first-professional degree. Examples could be refresher courses or additional units of study in a specialty or subspecialty.
First-Professional Degree
An award that requires completion of a program that meets all of the following criteria: (1) completion of the academic requirements to begin practice in the profession; (2) at least 2 years of college work prior to entering the program; and (3) a total of at least 6 academic years of college work to complete the degree program, including prior required college work plus the length of the professional program itself. First-professional degrees may be awarded in the following fields:
GPA (Grade Point Average)
A student’s grade point average or gpa is determined by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of semester hours attempted. If a student has earned 227 quality points on 61 semester hours attempted, the grade point average would be 227/61 = 3.721. To meet the minimum standard for graduation, a candidate must have a grade point average of 2.000 (“C” average) at Campbell University and in the major. Some majors (education and social work) require a higher minimum grade point average for graduation. These programs require a minimum gpa of 2.500 for graduation.
A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
Internet Course
A course of instruction the delivery of which is through the Internet (http, World Wide Web, Blackboard, Facebook, etc.). “Blended” courses are considered Internet courses.
An acronym for Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. IPEDS is an element of the US Department of Commerce and Bureau of Census that collects data for the National Center for Education Statistics. Each year Campbell University has a series of IPEDS reports that are mandatory. These reports are distributed throughout the academic year.
Lower level courses (L)
Lower level courses are generally considered introductory or entry level courses offered in an associate degree program or the first two years (freshman and sophomore) of a traditional four-year baccalaureate degree program. Institutions routinely distinguish lower level from upper level courses through a numbering system. For instance, 100-299 are lower level courses while 300 and higher are upper level courses.
Master’s Degree
A degree that requires the successful completion of a program of study of at least the full-time equivalent of 1 but not more than 2 academic years of work beyond the bachelor’s degree.
An acronym for North Carolina Higher Education Department. All North Carolina postsecondary institutions have an annual series of NCHED reports to file with the state.
Nonresident Alien
A person who is not a citizen or national of the United States and who is in this country on a visa or temporary basis and does not have the right to remain indefinitely.
Nontraditional Course
A course of instruction the delivery of which is by some means or combination of means other than a traditional classroom setting
Quality Point
Points assigned to grades in an academic “banking” system. Campbell University is on the four-point system. Under this system, an “A” is worth four points per hour, a “B” is worth three points per hour, a “C” is worth two points per hour, a “D” is worth one point per hour, and there are no points awarded for “F” or failing grades. A student who earns an “A” in a three hour course has:
3 hours X 4 points per hour = 12 total points
Quality Point Deficit
Refers to the number of quality points a student needs to attain a ‘C’ average or a grade point average of 2.000. Any student who does not have a gpa of 2.000 has a quality point deficit. To determine the size of the deficit, simply double the semester hours attempted and subtract the total quality points from that sum. Note the following example:
John Doe has 25 semester hours attempted, 15 semester hours passed with 30 quality points and a grade point average of 1.200. What is his deficit? Simply double the hours attempted, 25, which yields a sum of 50. Subtract the total number of quality points, 30, from 50, and we see that John Doe has a quality point deficit of 20 points.
If John’s cloud has a silver lining, it is found in the fact that he may repeat the 10 semester hours that he failed. Hopefully, he will improve his grade. Since Campbell only uses the last attempt of a course to compute the grade point average and thus the quality point deficit, John could help himself substantially by passing the courses he has failed. Were he to make a ‘C’ average on those same 10 hours, he would remove his deficit in its entirety.
Regional Accreditation
The United States is divided into seven (7) educational ‘regions’ each responsible for attesting to and maintaining the quality and academic integrity of the educational agencies under their charge. Those regional accrediting bodies are:
  1. Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools,
  2. New England Association of Schools and Colleges,
  3. North Central Association of Colleges and Schools,
  4. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities,
  5. Southern Association of College and Schools,
  6. Western Association of Schools and Colleges,
  7. Western Association of Schools and Colleges (for Community and Junior Colleges).
The requirements for a member institution’s regional accreditation are essentially the same among these agencies. Thus, institutions which have regional accreditation can accept credits and transfer credits across regions.
Returning student
A student who is re-enrolling in the university after an absence of one semester or more.
Reporting term
The academic year is divided into (1) fall, (2) spring, and (3) summer terms. Any courses or programs offered within the date window for the fall term is considered to be in the fall reporting term. The fall term may be sub-divided in to several different elements such as Fall Term I, Fall Term II, Fall Term III, etc., yet all of these terms fall under the fall reporting term.
A sixteen-week term of study. Campbell University divides its academic year into two regular semesters and two summer sessions. The fall semester generally extends from the third week in August until the end of the second week of December. The spring semester generally extends from the first Monday following New Year’s Day until the end of the second week of May.
Semester hour
A semester hour is usually considered to be 700 minutes of academic instruction. The accepted standard for three-semester hours of credit is 2,100 minutes.
Traditional Course
A course the instruction of which is delivered through a traditional classroom setting. Normally “traditional” three-semester-hour courses meet for a minimum of 2100 minutes in 50 or 80 minute increments. Fifty minute classes generally meet on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule while 80 minute classes meet on a Monday-Wednesday or Tuesday-Thursday schedule. Some evening or night classes meet once a week for 150 minutes each meeting.
Upper Level courses [U]
A course which are normally taught in the third and fourth (junior and/or senior) year of a four or five-year baccalaureate degree program. Institutions usually distinguish upper level from lower level courses through a numbering system. For instance 100-299 are lower level (freshman/sophomore or associate degree level) while 300 and above are upper (junior/senior) level.
Visiting Student
One who is officially enrolled in another college or university and who is sitting for courses at Campbell with the permission of the home school.
A portal through which students may access the University’s Academic Computer System. Through their WebAccess accounts, students may view their registrations, financial aid awards, student accounts, student life transcripts, and a number of other useful tools such as degree audit.
White, non-Hispanic
A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East (except those of Hispanic origin).

Back To Top

Term Identifications

You can view a PDF chart of our Term Identifications »