“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
To honor the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Campbell University students will once again dedicate a week to service starting Monday, the day the entire nation will honor the late civil rights leader.
Below is a full schedule of events both in Buies Creek and at the law school’s Raleigh campus. To register to serve for any of these events, sign up at https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/the-mlk-jr-volunteer-form/
- 11 a.m.: Blood drive in the Rumley Center at Campbell’s Buies Creek campus until 4 p.m. Volunteers will register with Cape Fear Valley Health System’s Blood Donor Center and donate blood.
- 2 p.m.: Clean up the nature trail (along with local roads) near the soccer field and practice fields at Campbell University. Students will meet at the McLamb Envirronmental Science Center and join Dr. Larsen in the clean up.
- All Day: The Campbell Law School Student Bar Association will host a day of community service activities in Raleigh, including helping and preparing food for the homeless at the Good Shepherd Soup Kitchen, assisting with thrift store donations at the Salvation Army Family Store, and helping package meals for those in need at the Alexander Family YMCA.
- 8 a.m.: Day 2 of the nature trail clean up. Students will again meet at the McLamb Environmental Science Center.
- 2 p.m.: Students will serve the elderly residents at Brookfield Assisted Living, located off N.C. 210 between Buies Creek and Angier. Spend an hour of your time conversing with the residents and quizzing contestants in MLK-inspired trivia.
- 10 a.m.: Students can register for organ donation from 10 to 2 p.m. in the Academic Circle. p.m.: 8 a.m.: Day 3 of the nature trail clean up. Students will again meet at the McLamb Environmental Science Center.
- 8 a.m.: Day 4 of the nature trail clean up. Students will again meet at the McLamb Environmental Science Center. Clean-up efforts will begin at both 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. on this day.
- 9 a.m.: Students will make cards and gift boxes for U.S. troops serving overseas. This activity will run from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Wallace Student Center on Campbell University’s Buies Creek campus. Get artsy, get crafty, be thoughtful and create New Year’s encouragement for the men and women who serve our country.
- 11 a.m. The fifth and final day of the nature trail clean up. Students will again meet at the McLamb Environmental Science Center.
For more information, contact Campbell University Community Engagement Coordinator Kristina Wolfe at (910) 814-4726 or [email protected]