Ellerbe returns to Campbell to serve on board
January 9, 2006 | Leave a Comment
Dr. James Ellerbe who retired as vice president for Business and Treasurer for Campbell University in 2005 after 12 years of service, will return to the university to serve as a member of its Presidential Board of Advisors. A resident of Clayton, N.C., Ellerbe was superintendent of the Johnston County Schools and held several positions in the North Carolina Department of Community Colleges prior to coming to Campbell. In addition, Ellerbe served as chairman of the North Carolina Textbook Commission and as director of the North Carolina School Boards Association. During his tenure at Campbell, Ellerbe helped guide the university through a number of significant additions, including the establishment of the Campbell Divinity School, the construction of new buildings for business, pharmacy research and athletics, the completion of the Keith Hills II golf course and the renovation of the historic D. Rich Memorial Building. He also served as general secretary for Campbell's Board of Trustees. A graduate of East Carolina University, Ellerbe earned a Bachelor of Science in Social Studies and English in 1956. He went on to receive a master's degree and a Ph.D. in education from N.C. State University. He also received certification from the Government Executive Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Active in the Clayton First Baptist Church, Ellerbe has also served in leadership positions at the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina and the Johnston Baptist Association. He is married to the former Helen Austin of Clayton. They have two children, James A. Ellerbe and Beth Ellerbe Hubbard.
Photo Copy: Dr. James Ellerbe (Photo by Todd Scarborough)