November 18, 2008 | Leave a Comment
Buies Creek, N.C.—A toxic poison that can build up slowly over time, lead is a hazardous element. The Campbell University Chemistry Department in cooperation with the Harnett County Schools will offer a free seminar for educators on the dangers of lead and how it can be detected in water, Monday, Nov. 24, at 6:15 p.m. in the Hartness Lecture Hall of the Campbell Science building. Hors d’ouvres will be served prior to the seminar at 5:30 p.m.
“This is a great opportunity for principals and science teachers,” said Dr. Lin Coker, professor of chemistry. “Lead is a poison when ingested. We are hoping to provide teachers with useful information on this topic to take back to their classrooms.”
The seminar will not only focus on lead poisoning, but the ancient uses of lead, its modern uses, lead remediation and lead analysis in water.
Campbell’s partnership with the Harnett County Schools began several years ago when a Campbell honor student was looking for a topic for a senior project. The student was inspired by an actual news story about the discovery of lead-tainted drinking water found in another North Carolina county and decided to analyze water samples found in Harnett County. Since that time, analyzing Harnett County drinking water has become a part of the chemistry curriculum.
“Campbell students have gained experience working with real-world samples and the Harnett County Schools have received additional verification that their drinking water is free of lead,” Coker said.
With the support of the Campbell University Chemistry Club, the Chemistry Department plans to expand the educational seminar into an annual event.
For more information, contact Dr. Lin Coker, Campbell University Chemistry Department, at 910.893.1739 or email him at [email protected].
Sun, 01 May 2016
Thu, 28 Apr 2016
Tue, 26 Apr 2016
We invite you to leave a comment if you want to discuss this article. Please note any posted comment will be viewable by the public. If you notice any errors please email Haven Hottel at [email protected].