Room Changes

All students wishing to request a change of their room assignment must first meet with a Resident Director, Area Coordinator, or Residence Life Director who may be able to assist with difficult roommate/suitemate situations and facilitate roommate agreements.  Students who meet with a Resident Director may be referred to their Area Coordinator or Residence Life Director for further assistance.

If a room change is necessary, all students involved must complete a Room Change Request Form provided by the Residence Life Office.  Requests will be granted if a room change is deemed necessary and space is available.

All room changes must be approved by a Residence Life Director.  Once approved, the student will turn in the key to their current room and receive the key to the new room at the Residence Life Office.  Keys are not to be exchanged among students.  Residents are not to change rooms and/or switch rooms/roommates without permission from the Residence Life Office.  Violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action.

Private Rooms

Private room requests are granted when possible.  A Private Room Request Form must be completed and turned in to the Residence Life Office.  If a private room request is granted and the room is later needed for double occupancy, a second person will be assigned.  Persons occupying a private room will be charged an additional fee of $700.00 per semester.   In cases where an adjustment in the charges for a private room is necessary, the charges will be prorated on a weekly basis.  Apartments/Barker Hall Suites have only private rooms.


The Residence Life Office must efficiently and effectively utilize all available spaces in the residence halls.  To accommodate the needs of all students, the Residence Life Office reserves the right to utilize the following consolidation policy as needed.

At any point during the semester, students may find themselves left in a room without a roommate.  These students have the following consolidation options:

  1. Consolidate with another student in the same residence hall who is without a roommate or voluntarily move to a space in another residence hall.
  2. Request the Residence Life Office to reassign them to a double room with a roommate.
  3. Opt to pay the private room fee ($700.00 per semester) and remain alone in their room, only if space is available.
  4. Stay in the room by themselves without paying the private room fee.  The Residence Life Office may assign another student to the room at any time.  While students are there alone, they must occupy only half of the room and leave the other side for the room unused.  Once a student is notified that they will be receiving a roommate, they cannot opt to pay for a single room at that time to prevent a new roommate from moving in.

Students who do not choose any of the above options will be charged the private room fee.