4v4 Sand VolleyballCAMPBELL UNIVERSITY INTRAMURAL SPORTS
SAND VOLLEYBALL RULES
Last update: August, 2013
VOLLEYBALL IS A CONTACT SPORT AND INJURIES ARE A POSSIBILITY. THE INTRAMURAL SPORTS PROGRAM ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURIES; HOWEVER, BASIC FIRST AID WILL BE AVAILABLE.
TEAM CAPTAIN’S MEETING
Attendance at the Captain’s Meeting is mandatory! If a team fails to attend the meeting, they are subject to being dropped from the league and replaced by teams on the waiting list.
The Intramural Sports Department will not hold spots.
The forfeit deposit of $25/team must be paid at time of the captains meeting. The acceptable forms of payment are cash only!
Schedules for league play will be posted on the IM Leagues and will be available generally 2-4 days before your league is scheduled to start.
Please feel free to contact the Campus Recreation Office or the Intramural Coordinator, Carl Birch with any questions or concerns at 910-814-5513.
Please use the Rules and Regulations Manual as a resource throughout the year. If you are team captain, please inform your players of all of the guidelines in the handbook BEFORE your first contest.
MENS AND WOMENS DIVISIONS
STARTING THE GAME
1. START TIME: Teams are to be at the court and signed in before the official game time. If any team is not at the court at the scheduled game time, the game will be declared a forfeit. It is recommended that teams arrive at the game site fifteen (15) minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
3. TEAMS: In all official matches, teams shall be composed of no more than four (4) or less than two (2) players.
4. CLUB VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS: One (1) current club volleyball members (men’s or women’s) may appear on any intramural volleyball team roster and may play at the same time. There is no restriction as to how many past club volleyball players may participate. Also, only one (1) former varsity volleyball members may play. So, you could have one (1) current club and zero (0) former varsity, or (0) current club and one (1) former varsity.
5. COIN TOSS: The captains shall toss for courts or service. The winner of the toss may choose either to take the first service or choice of courts.6. STARTING THE GAME: At the beginning of the game, the ball shall be put in play by the player in the "back right" position, but may serve from anywhere along the service line.
PLAYING THE GAME
7. TIME OUTS: Each team will be granted one time-out per game. Time-outs will be thirty (30) seconds in length; teams must be ready to play immediately. Time-outs do not carry over to the next game.
8. SERVICE: After the ball is served, each player may cover any section. Prior to the serve all players must be in their proper positions.9. THE SERVER: Each server shall continue to serve until a "side out" occurs.
10. POINTS: When a served ball passes under the net or touches any player, surface or object before entering the opponent’s court, a point will be awarded to the opposing team.11. ALTERNATING SERVICE: Service shall alternate as possession changes.
12. ROTATIONS: The team receiving the ball for service shall immediately rotate one position.13. EXCEPTION: the first serve for the beginning of each game.
14. PLAYING THE BALL: A player may leave the court to play the ball. A ball hitting a sideline or an end line is in.15. TOUCHING THE BALL: The ball may be touched only three (3) times by one team before being returned over the net. NOTE: Partially blocking the ball does NOT count as a touch. However, if the ball then goes out of bounds the person who blocked it shall be the one considered to have caused it to go out of bounds.
16. SCORING: Rally scoring will be used for all three games.17. WINNING A GAME: The first two games of each match will be played to twenty-five (25), and the third game (if necessary) will be played to fifteen (15). A team must win by two (2) points. In the first two games during regular season play, 27 is the greatest amount of points that can be scored in a game (if a team gains a 27-26 lead, the game is over). If a match reaches a third game, a team must win by two (2) points (there is no scoring limit). During the playoffs, there is no scoring limit for any of the three games.
18. STARTING THE NEXT GAME: The team losing the coin toss shall have the first service in the next game. The teams shall change sides after each game. The time between games shall not exceed one minute.19. WINNING THE MATCH: The first team to win two (2) games will win the match.
20. THE CENTER LINE: A player may cross the center line with his/her foot/feet as long as a part of the foot/feet remain(s) on or above the center line and the player does not interfere with the play of an opponent.
21. VIOLATIONS: The following violations will result in a point and service for the opposing team:
a. Catching or holding the ball
b. Touching the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play
c. Illegal volley
22. UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT: Any unsportsmanlike conduct including, but not limited to, arguments with any coach, manager or spectator, flagrant fouling, fighting, etc. will result in expulsion of that individual and/or team from further participation in intramurals until meeting with the Intramural Sports Coordinator. The supervisor has the authority to impose penalties for teams behaving in an unsportsmanlike manner.
23. DISQUALIFIED PLAYERS: A player disqualified from the game for unsportsmanlike conduct must leave the court area IMMEDIATELY, and will be declared ineligible for play in any intramural sports activity until he/she has met with the Intramural Sports Coordinator. The player shall be suspended for no less than one game. Failure to leave may result in disqualification of the captain, or forfeiture of the game. Any second occurrence of unsportsmanlike conduct by a team may result in that team is eliminated for the remainder of the season.CO-RECREATION DIVISION
All of the above rules apply with the following exceptions:
24. TEAMS: In all matches, a team shall be composed of two (2) men and two (2) women. If only two (2) or three (3) players are present, male/female ratio may be 1:1, or 1:2. The ratio may not be 2:0 or 0:2. During game play there cannot be more males than females on the court at any time.
25. FEMALES HITTING THE BALL: There are no restrictions as to who may hit the ball during play.
Other than the above exceptions the game will be played according to the National Federation