NCDOT to close U.S. 421 near Campbell beginning 11/23. Click here for more information.
March 28, 2012 | Leave a Comment
On January 5, 1887, huddled inside a small church in Harnett County, sixteen students and their 25 year old teacher, James Archibald Campbell, sang out the hymn “Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me”, as they would every morning thereafter. Five other students were building the nearby schoolhouse that would become Buies Creek Academy -- a place where students from all walks of life could come to learn and have the opportunity to grow in their faith.
Just one year earlier, Campbell had returned home to his native Harnett County, working as a pastor and selling books to help out the family farm. When approached by community leaders about the critical need for a local school, Campbell readily committed himself to the challenge, despite the absence of a salary. But the young minister felt it was an important mission to provide a quality Christian education for the children of this rural community.
Campbell’s enthusiastic approach to instruction was a well-received addition to the area. By the end of the term in May 1887, the Academy’s enrollment had grown significantly, from those first sixteen students to ninety-two students, now packed into a one-room 40x22 ft. school building.
125 years since Dr. Campbell held the first class inside that church, Campbell University has become a lauded institution of liberal arts, sciences and professions.
The University is comprised of seven schools: The College of Arts & Sciences, the College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Divinity School, Lundy-Fetterman School of Business, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, School of Education and its newest school, the School of Osteopathic Medicine. In April 2012, the medical school was awarded Provisional accreditation, effective July 2012, clearing the path to begin recruiting students for the first class in 2013. In addition to the main campus in Buies Creek, Campbell also has additional campuses in Research Triangle Park, Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg/Pope AFB. In 2009, the law school relocated to downtown Raleigh.
Proud of its heritage, Campbell remains committed to its mission of providing students with a Christian worldview and a charge to be “the salt of the earth and the light of the world.”
Many of Campbell’s programs are nationally recognized including the Law, Pharmacy, Business, Education, and Divinity Schools, as well as our ROTC program. Campbell is a Teaching Fellows institution. Campbell also holds the distinction of having one of 20 PGA Golf Management Programs in the country and of having the only undergraduate Trust and Wealth Management Program nationwide.