New Hire Process
For New University Employees
Full-Time & Part-Time Staff and Faculty
Once you've been offered a position by your department you will first need to complete a background check. Once the background is back and the department has given you your start date, you need to contact Human Resources to make an appointment to fill out the rest of your paperwork. You will need to bring in two forms of ID and a voided check to complete the essential payroll documents, and obtain an ID card from HR along with a parking decal from Campus Safety. Depending on the dates of your employment & Hr appointment, you may need to complete some forms before the meeting in order to meet payroll deadlines. If you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources Office.
You will also need to confirm with your department if you need network/email access, keys, card access to campus buildings, etc. If you wish to schedule an appointment with HR to complete the necessary paperwork or have questions about the process, contact Amy Emory.
For University Hiring Managers
Processing a new employee can be tough and time-consuming, but the guidelines below should help to eliminate confusion and facilitate a new employee's setup. For specific questions regarding new employee setup, see the points of contact for each type of new hire.
For Staff & Faculty hiring information, contact Amy Emory in Human Resources (Amy Emory or 910-893-1699).
Full-time Staff/Faculty Employee
- Candidate completes the online background check authorization form.
- For Staff: Once the background check is clear, the Department completes the “Notice of Employment” online form. For Faculty: Once the background check is clear, the Department should compose a faculty contract.
- The Department and Candidate set up an appointment with HR for HR, payroll, and benefits processing. The candidate must bring in two forms of ID to complete the I-9 form. **Section one of the I-9 must be filled out before the start date. The second section must be done by HR within three days of hire.**
- The Department submits the “create-an-account” form to Computing Services to establish computer login, email address, Blackboard access, etc. and sends a requisition to Facilities Management to create building keys and update the phone system.
- The Employee submits his/her information for the faculty/staff directory.
Part-time Staff/Adjunct Faculty Employee
- Candidate completes background check authorization online form.
- Once the background check is clear, the Department completes the “Notice of Employment” online form.
- The candidate then completes the following forms:
They must also come in to complete an online form for an I-9. **Section one of the I-9 must be filled out before the start date. The second section must be done by HR within three days of hire.**
- The Department submits the “create-an-account” form to Computing Services to establish computer login, email address, Blackboard access, etc. and contacts Facilities Management to create building keys and update the phone system.
For Institutional hiring information, contact Bridget Pope in Payroll (email@example.com or 910-893-1447).
- The Hiring Department completes the Institutional contract with the department head’s signature.
- The student brings the signed contract along with his/her driver’s license and social security card,or other form I-9 documents, to Human Resources to complete an I-9. The student will also fill out tax forms and direct deposit forms, so they will need a voided check, or bank information.
Federal Work Study Employees
For Federal Work Study Information, contact Tonnette Sears in Financial Aid (firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-893-1304).
- Once the student has received the contract from Financial Aid, they need to obtain a signature from the department head where they will be working.
- Then the student brings a picture ID and social security card, or other I-9 documents, with a canceled check to Human Resources with the signed contract to complete the tax forms and direct deposit authorization for payroll.
- Finally, the student must return the contract with all the required signatures to the Financial Aid Office.