Campbell’s Professional Education programs are also accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI). The Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Campbell University holds membership in the North Carolina Association of Colleges and Universities, the North Carolina Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the Association of Baptist Colleges and Schools, the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, and the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education. The School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association, the School of Pharmacy by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education, and the Divinity School by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).
Statement of Purpose of Campbell University
Campus and Buildings
The location combines the advantages of accessible urban convenience with the friendly, academic atmosphere of a rural university village.
The University had its beginning in a small one-room building erected by local citizens. Though later enlarged by 1896 it had become inadequate to house the growing student body, and additional facilities were added.
On December 20, 1900, with the exception of one building that was later used for classrooms, these structures were destroyed by fire.
The burned buildings were replaced by Kivett Hall, named for Z. T. Kivett, the builder; it was constructed between May 23, 1901, and November 2, 1903. During 1991-1993, Kivett Hall was remodeled to provide additional space for the Norman A. Wiggins School of Law. Other buildings include: William Pearson Hall (1915) renovated 2000, Carrie Rich Memorial Library (1925); D. Rich Memorial Building (1926) renovated 2004; Carter Gymnasium (1952); Leslie Hartwell Campbell Hall of Science (1961); J. Clyde Turner Chapel (1963) renovated 2004; Campbell Home Management House (1965); Fred L. Taylor Hall of Religion (1973); Johnson Memorial Natatorium (1976), Taylor Bott Rogers Fine Arts Center (1984); J.P. Riddle Pharmacy Center (1991); Lundy Fetterman School of Business (1999); Pharmacy Research Laboratory (2001); and the McLeod Athletic Training Facility (2004).
In addition, the following serve the administrative function of the University: B. P. Marshbanks Dining Hall (1934); W. S. Britt Hall (1947); John S. Pearson Memorial Student Health Services (1960); James A. Campbell Administration Building (1961); Codwin Maintenance Building (1964); McLeod Admissions Center (1967); James M. Shouse Dining Hall (1973); Page Welcome Center (1974); and the Campbell Laundry Building (1985).
The residence halls for students are: Joel G. Layton Hall (1923); William H. and Lula Bostic Jones Hall (1954); J. E. Kitchin Hall (1955); O. Hampton Baldwin Hall (1958); Fred N. Day Hall (1959); Mabel and Nell Powell Hall (1960); James E. and Mary Z. Bryan Hall (1961); J. Hunter and Mabel C. Strickland Hall (1962); Ernest P. Sauls Hall (1962); Bobby Murray Hall (1967); R. A. and Elsie Hedgpeth Hall (1967); A. R. Burkot Hall (1973); Fred McCall Hall (1973); and Lonnie D. Small Hall (1973); Marshbanks House (1912 renovated 1981; McKay House (1925) renovated 1989; Burgess House (1974) renovated 1988.
The University also provides more than 250 housing facilities for faculty, staff and graduate students. These are houses, duplexes, apartments and mobile home lots. Some of them are Ellis Memorial Apartments (1957); Campbelltown Apartments (1959); Northeast Hall (1963); East Hall (1969); and Campbell (Reardon) Apartments (1999-2000).
Ad astra per aspera
Campbell’s rise from a community school of twenty-one students to eminence as a great southern academy and later to its present standing among the state’s largest church-related senior universities is illustrative of what perseverance can accomplish in scaling the heights.
Campbell University was founded January 5, 1887, by James Archibald Campbell, a North Carolina preacher who believed that no student should be denied admission because of lack of funds.
Known as Buies Creek Academy, the school that began with twenty-one students grew slowly during the early years.
In Campbell College:Big Miracle at Little Buies Creek, (1887-1974), Dr. J. Winston Pearce wrote of Dr. James Archibald Campbell, "From the beginning, his passion was that his school prepare young men and women for a living and for a life, not one but both. He was concerned that Christ have his way in the classroom and that he have his way in the church house, no difference..."
In 1926, the school attained junior college status and changed its name from Buies Creek Academy to Campbell Junior College. In 1961, Campbell became a senior college. The name was changed to Campbell University on June 6, 1979.
Graduate programs were begun in 1977 with the Master of Education degree. The Master of Business Administration degree was added in 1978, and the Master of Science in Government was established in 1982 (although this degree is no longer offered).
The Campbell University School of Law was founded in 1976, and the Lundy-Fetterman School of Business was begun in 1983. The Schools of Pharmacy and Education were established in 1985. The Divinity School was established in 1995.
Campbell University has developed into a major university that will enroll nearly 10,000 students during the 2005 academic year. Students hail from all one hundred North Carolina counties, all fifty states of the United States, and over thirty-five countries of the world. Campbell University is now the second largest private university in North Carolina and the second largest Baptist University in the world. Open to all qualified students, Campbell’s student body includes persons from more than forty denominations and faiths.
In over one hundred years of service, Campbell University has been served by only four presidents: James Archibald Campbell (1887–1934), Leslie Hartwell Campbell (1934–1967), Norman Adrian Wiggins (1967–2003), and Jerry McLain Wallace (2003– ).
At the present time, over four-fifths of the faculty hold the doctoral degree or its professional equivalent.
Campbell University is committed to the task of selecting and maintaining a group of highly qualified teachers who are dedicated to learning in general, to the special knowledge of their subject area, and to the process of instructing students.
Also included among its assets is Keith Hills. The first eighteen-hole-course of this championship golf course was completed in 1973, while the second eighteen-hole-course was completed in 2002. Keith Hills is named for its longtime trustee and his family, Fred R. Keith, of Lumberton, North Carolina. The Robin Whitley Hood family of Benson, North Carolina, made possible the building of the Robin Hood Pro Shop.
Student Health Service
Hours: Monday: 8 am – 4 pm & 5 pm – 7 pm; Tuesday – Thursday: 8 am – 4 pm; Friday: 8 am – 12 noon
Appointments are scheduled to see a physician and physician assistant; however a nurse is on duty when the clinic is open and may be seen without an appointment. You may schedule an appointment by calling 893-1560.
Services include allergy injection, immunizations, laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy, radiology, and minor surgical procedures.